• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Selecting "borderless" fails to yield a borderless print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Behan

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Occasionally, but not always, selecting "borderless" under Page Setup/Paper Size fails to result in a borderless print. The narrow white borders appear anyway. The screen image is borderless, but not the hardcopy print.

Suggestions to correct this problem much appreciated.

Thanks.

(My printer is a Canon Pro1000.)

Do the narrow borders appear on all 4 sides or just 2? And do they show up in the Lightroom preview or only in the print?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is your printer capable of doing a true borderless print? Even borderless prints on some printers may have a non printable feed edge.

Do the narrow borders appear on all 4 sides or just 2? And do they show up in the Lightroom preview or only in the print?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, Queen, for the personal attention. The borders do NOT appear on the screen image: that indicates a nice borderless print will be produced. But the physical print displays borders on all four sides.
Is your printer capable of doing a true borderless print? Even borderless prints on some printers may have a non printable feed edge.
Thanks, Mr. Lee. My printer is a Canon Pro1000, and I have produced true borderless prints with it. I understand a little bit about the non printable feed edge property, but isn't that the default edge when you do NOT specify "borderless?"

Let's have a look at the printer settings Can you post a screen shot of the Print Setting dialog, the Page Setup Dialog and the Layout panel on the right in the Print module?
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 11.27.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 11.28.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 11.28.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Thanks, Cletus, I'll try (having not attached files before). Here goes. (Looks like something happened....) Cheers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 1.37.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 1.37.35 PM.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 1.39.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 1.39.22 PM.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 1.39.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 1.39.45 PM.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 280
I couldn't find any options in the print dialog that offered "Borderless Printing" as in your example. My first example (directly above) was the "Quality and Media" option. On further inspection, I see the "Layout" option which looks like this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 2.09.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 2.09.06 PM.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 295
Two points I might mention-
1) You have the CELL size height set to 11.64 inch height on the 13 inch paper- so white borders top & bottom for sure.
2) Do you have "Zoom to Fill" checked on? The Cell size restriction with an image ratio may then also limit the image horizontal width, so showing borders left & right.

You need-
Printer setup set to "Borderless"
Margins all '0'
Cell Size H&W both set to Maximum
'Zoom to Fill' set on.

I couldn't find any options in the print dialog that offered "Borderless Printing" as in your example.
This may then be a limitation of your printer though I don't think your Canon is much different from mine
I-See-Light has made all of the other points that I would mention.

Victoria, Cletus, I-see-Light: Thanks a million, people. Your collective thoughts have been a great help, causing me to realize I have a problem that perhaps can't be solved. I failed to tell you I set the print to be artificially "matted," with a gray border around the stroked image (using "Page Background Color"). That's why the cell size was less than the full 13x19, and why "Zoom to Fill" wasn't clicked.

I met two of I-see-Light's criteria--selecting "Borderless" and setting the margins to 0--but failing to meet the other two apparently caused the unwanted white margins.

Apparently you can't print borderless unless the cell size matches the paper size. Could that be the answer here?

Apparently you can't print borderless unless the cell size matches the paper size. Could that be the answer here?
That sounds about right. If you can print borderless without the "Matt", then the solution would be to create the mat as a border for produce that image as a derivative and them print that composite image

The only difference I can see is in the Printer Setup Dialog where you select "Borderless" or "No Border" (or whatever the words in the dialog)
Here are two screen-clips- Identical settings in the Lightroom panels- only the "Borderless" option is changed:
1) Is Borderless, Page Background = Blue, Stroke = White, Cell Size margins less than Paper size.
2) Is NOT Borderless, Page Background = Blue, Stroke = White, Cell Size margins less than Paper size.

Attachments

• ScreenShot016.jpg
    ScreenShot016.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 243
  • ScreenShot017.jpg
    ScreenShot017.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 259
I-See-Light, thanks again, and you've demonstrated that the cell size CAN be less than the paper size. And I also discovered that "Zoom to Fill" does NOT expand, as I'd thought, the cell size to correspond to paper size. So I tried my print again, with margins set to 0, "Zoom to Fill" ON, "borderless" selected in the Print Dialog, and bingo: an artificially matted print with no white edges. So my problem is solved; the missing link was "Zoom to Fill." I've made a note.

Thanks to all once more.

RWB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back