• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module select cropping size to match 1:1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palle Jensen

GreyT Drumming
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System: Mac 10.13.3
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Lightroom Classic version: 7.1 [ 1148620 ]

This is probably a minor problem, but I have not found a solution.
I shoot Nikon D750 and D850, sometime I want to crop so the picture will not change size (the 1:1 view) when you click on it going from curser as a magnifying glass to a hand. But I have not found an option so set this.
hope it exists.
Also I sometime would like to be able to enter the side dimensions of the cropped area, in pixels.

kind regards
Palle Jensen

You cannot do this in Lightroom. Setting pixel dimensions of the crop is a common request, but so far, Adobe have chosen not to program it. There probably is a request for this at the Bug/Feature Request site. You could add your vote. If the first portion of your post isn't represented there, you could open a thread.

While not adequate for all purposes, you can set custom crops of somewhat arbitrary size. For example, I need to produce images that fit a 995 x 520 to go on a web page. You can't enter that, but I can enter 9.95 and 5.2. This gets me the exact aspect ratio I need when cropping, then when I export I can just export longest-edge to 995 and it comes out 520 on the other (well, sometimes 519, sometimes 521, usually 520).

That doesn't force crop to a specific pixel dimension of course, and if it was obvious apologies.

The only way to see the pixel dimensions after you crop is by pressing the i key and you get the display that shows pixels. You can't enter a value like you can using PS but you can crop to the size you want by just watch the dimensions as you go.

The only way to see the pixel dimensions after you crop is by pressing the i key and you get the display that shows pixels. You can't enter a value like you can using PS but you can crop to the size you want by just watch the dimensions as you go.
That's actually rather neat, I never noticed you could do that before. It doesn't display (at least for me) while the crop box is moving, but it does as soon as you stop. Combine that by having a custom crop for the aspect you want and it works quite nicely.

This kinda came from another site and i think from Johan here who told me about the display. At another site a person was having issues saying that LR was producing blurry images compared to PS. I figured out that the person was not cropping both the same and the LR finals were greater than the original 100%.

In the past when I wanted to match the two I'd eyeball it as best as I could until I learned about the display in LR. First do the crop in PS and it gives you the pixel dimensions. Use those to match in LR. Actually you could do the same in reverse.

I also wish Adobe would provide a way to enter pixels like PS but I guess it not being a an pixel editor Adobe decided not to.

I also wish Adobe would provide a way to enter pixels like PS but I guess it not being a an pixel editor Adobe decided not to.
Honestly I do not get the need. To me all that matters is aspect ratio -- I crop to suit composition to (if required) a specific aspect, and the number of pixels I have when done is the number of pixels I have. If someone says "give me a 480x640 image" that's fine, and I will -- but it will almost certainly not be the 480x640 pixels that came out of the camera, it will be a larger or small crop, to that aspect, then interpolated or extrapolated to the size they need.

I'm not saying others may not have different needs of course, but I would be willing to bet at least some of those people do not understand pixels and DPI and such (this comment is not aimed at the OP who asked a very specific question, but is a more general comment).

The precise pixel requirement was an issue for me at first. I wanted to crop to fit my HDTV screen without having the Slideshow app running in AppleTV or FireTV do its own resize interpolation.
With a little jiggling using the "i" key and the crop tool as described above, I would find that occasionally I could get exactly a 1920X1080 pixel crop window. When that happened, I saved that image as a virtual copy reference image and put it into a special collection of other precise crops (1024X768, etc.) Now, when I need a precise crop, I pull out the image I want from the reference collection and copy its settings to be pasted into the image needing a precise crop.

Cletus, does export not do that as well, i.e. crop to aspect then let export resize to precise dimensions? Or does that not do it?

Cletus, does export not do that as well, i.e. crop to aspect then let export resize to precise dimensions? Or does that not do it?
There is still a resize interpolation involved in Exports. I'm trying to avoid any interpolation. (I think I get sharper images on screen). e.g 1 exported pixel = .933 original pixel

There is still a resize interpolation involved in Exports. I'm trying to avoid any interpolation. (I think I get sharper images on screen). e.g 1 exported pixel = .933 original pixel
Ah, certainly you do. Of course cropping to a predefined pixel dimension has an impact on composition. :)

Cletus,
I'm curious: have you compared the images you get, exact pixel dimensions vs interpolated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back