• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Seeking Clarity for optimal LR backup strategy using current assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDRothenberg

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.4 [ 201908011719-03751b60 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
What is the optimal way to run LR on my new iMac as well as to do proper 3-2-1 backup using my current assets? I have read so many threads that I'm getting groggy. Perhaps someone can cut through the clutter and help me, which would be very welcome.

I have ~480 GB of photos which only grow about 40GB/year, thus 1 TB is probably all I need for foreseeable future. Note that I own Carbon Copy Cloner software and have a BackBlaze account. The latter provides 1 copy offsite.

Here are my assets:

new 27” iMac w/ 512 GB SSD internal (not enough to store pix)

External Drives:
1TB Samsung T5 SSD drive
4 TB Seagate conventional HD
1 TB conventional HD

My thought is to put all apps, caches and LR cat and previews on the Mac's internal SSD drive.

The external Samsung 1 TB SSD would be a bootable backup (using Carbon Copy Cloner) of the computer’s internal drive.

The 4TB conventional HD would be for Time Machine backup of the computer. I would partition it to be 3 GB for the Time Machine and 1 TB of it for the pix. That would be where all the RAW images are stored on import. Then I could backup the photo partition daily to the 1 TB conventional using Carbon Copy Cloner. And of course, all connected drives get backed up to BackBlaze in the cloud.

Is this too convoluted and Rube Goldberg-esque, or is there a simpler way using my current assets?
Thanks in Advance

How about:
External data drive: 1TB T5 hooked up fastest protocol. The drive would have your pictures, movies, documents...etc.
External Lr backup drive: 1TB HD. Could also be used for temp folders of imported file before Lr puts them in destination folders
External Time Machine drive: 4TB Seagate which backs up the entire file system.

Either of those suggestions would work fine.

I would agree with @mcasan. I would not recommend having TM and your pictures on the same partitioned hard drive. If that drive fails than you loose all your current library, all images and backup simultaneously. And then have the tedious task to restore from BackBlaze.

-louie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back