• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Secure backup for Lightroom CC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanS

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Adone Photoshop Lightroom CC version 2.2.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  2. iOS
How do I create a secure extra back-up of all my 37,000 photos now migrated to the Lightroom Cloud?
Adobe do not guarantee all my photos are preserved for ever.
Is there a way of sending all my pictures from LR CC to Dropbox or even an external hard drive?
many thanks

Lightroom CC has a preference option to store a copy of the images locally. You can set the location, so you can choose an external drive or your Dropbox folder.

Another option is to use the free Adobe Lightroom Downloader app. It will download "all your Lightroom photos and videos from the cloud as original files and writes them into a date-based folder hierarchy at the hard-drive location that you specify," according to the linked Adobe page.

One thing that is not being taken into account is version control. Let's say that you have an image in the cloud and want a copy locally. Later you decide to delete the image from the cloud. Once it is gone from the cloud it's gone. No undo. So you sign on to one of the options suggested.. How do you manage to permanently delete an image once it is stored locally or in DropBox? I think with the Lightroom Store Images locally, LR will do the housekeeping on the web and the local disk. But once it is gone for the local disk there is no recovery if that "delete" was an "Oops".
A dedicated backup solution wo;; let you go back in time and recover images from before when they were deleted locally. TimeMachine is an excellent choice for MacOS. There are others as well and many have the capability to run in a Windows environment if that is your preferred OS.

The local copy seems to only be the original, not the edited, final version. To get that you need to export as jpg

The local copy seems to only be the original, not the edited, final version. To get that you need to export as jpg
That is correct, yes.

When you use Adobe Downloader to download all pictures you have on Lightroom Cloud, what information will be included?
I assume capture dates? What about keywords? They won't be organized into collections, right?

There is no user-controlled backup for Cloudy Lightroom.
  1. The Downloader is not a backup utility - it's a lifeboat, designed to let you escape from Cloudy Lightroom. It is almost totally undocumented by Adobe and just dumps all your stuff back on dry land, leaving files in dated folders with xmp files.
  2. If you store all images locally, these are just a cache - delete the file in Cloudy and your local copy will also go.

I need a lifeboat.
I've been in the process of gathering pictures from all different places. Some of them scanned and organized them in Lightroom Cloud.
Somehow, inadvertently, I must have changed the capture dates of all 7,000+ photos last week and I have no backup.
I'm trying to fix the dates now, but looking into working with a different system.
Having the backup organized by date would be a start.
Next, I need to figure out how I can have them organized in folders and albums (or collections) which would sync across my devices.
I'm considering working with Lightroom classic and sync them with Lightroom Cloud.

I'm considering working with Lightroom classic and sync them with Lightroom Cloud.
One reason I continue to use only Classic is it allows me to be completely in control of my originals, back them up properly, integrity check them, etc.

I honestly believe Adobe should do more to reassure the paranoid among us (you know who you are!) that their cloud copy is secure -- not from theft or such, but from user error, bit rot, malicious hacking, mistakes that Adobe might make themselves, natural disaster of their datacenter (ok, I think it's actually Amazon's), etc. Maybe they are doing an amazingly thorough job, but silence leads some to assume the best, and some the worst (the scary ones frankly are those of you who have not even considered it!).

So I use classic and if I want them on the web I use Smugmug. And my masters stay on my desktop, with three local backups and one cloud backup, that is versioned, checksummed, and done with two separate backup programs.

Smugmug may have features that Lightroom Cloud doesn't have.
I'm not a commercial photographer.
So, if I choose Lightroom Classic because I want the back ups that Cloud doesn't have, wouldn't it be possible to also store my originals in the Lightroom Cloud? After all, I would have 1T available...

Smugmug may have features that Lightroom Cloud doesn't have.
I'm not a commercial photographer.
So, if I choose Lightroom Classic because I want the back ups that Cloud doesn't have, wouldn't it be possible to also store my originals in the Lightroom Cloud? After all, I would have 1T available...

So... Smugmug and LR Cloud are quite different, though both at some level allow you to display content to others. LR cloud is (in my mind) more about distributed editing. SM is about sharing content.

Hopefully someone else will confirm this answer, but my loose understanding is that the problem is that files ingested into LR CLassic only send smart previews to the cloud, not the originals. So you could do that and continue editing the smart previews, and the originals could be maintained locally, but it is not quite the same. Also, I am not at all clear on the complete process of coming from the cloud to classic. plus note that the classic + cloudy plan only has a small amount of storage, not 1TB, if I recall.

I'm not trying to talk you into the switch, as there are a LOT of considerations. It was just one data point.

So... Smugmug and LR Cloud are quite different, though both at some level allow you to display content to others. LR cloud is (in my mind) more about distributed editing. SM is about sharing content.
I would agree with that statement. I use Amazon Photos for displaying photos publicly and locally on my FireTV. I like the integration of Lightroom (cloudy) and Lightroom Classic for initially loading new images in the field (or downstairs) and having them show up with the iPadPro Lightroom edits in Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back