• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • We are delighted to announce that Single Sign On has just gone live, so you'll no longer have to remember multiple login details for this site. Most existing passwords have been carried over, but if your password doesn't work, you can reset it using the Lost My Password link. Your current forum username is Guest. You're welcome to choose your preferred username here.
  • Are you using Lightroom CC on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV or in a web browser? Are you syncing your photos to the cloud? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro! It shows you how to use the full Lightroom CC ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also learn the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily.

Secure backup for Lightroom CC?

JonathanS

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Lightroom Version
Adone Photoshop Lightroom CC version 2.2.1
Operating System
macOS 10.13 High Sierra, iOS
How do I create a secure extra back-up of all my 37,000 photos now migrated to the Lightroom Cloud?
Adobe do not guarantee all my photos are preserved for ever.
Is there a way of sending all my pictures from LR CC to Dropbox or even an external hard drive?
many thanks

Conrad Chavez

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Another option is to use the free Adobe Lightroom Downloader app. It will download "all your Lightroom photos and videos from the cloud as original files and writes them into a date-based folder hierarchy at the hard-drive location that you specify," according to the linked Adobe page.

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
One thing that is not being taken into account is version control. Let's say that you have an image in the cloud and want a copy locally. Later you decide to delete the image from the cloud. Once it is gone from the cloud it's gone. No undo. So you sign on to one of the options suggested.. How do you manage to permanently delete an image once it is stored locally or in DropBox? I think with the Lightroom Store Images locally, LR will do the housekeeping on the web and the local disk. But once it is gone for the local disk there is no recovery if that "delete" was an "Oops".
A dedicated backup solution wo;; let you go back in time and recover images from before when they were deleted locally. TimeMachine is an excellent choice for MacOS. There are others as well and many have the capability to run in a Windows environment if that is your preferred OS.