• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Develop module Sections in Lightroom Classic Preset Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanhunt

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.1.1 [ 202101041610-8c69aa4e ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
My Lightroom Develop Module Preset Panel has groups and the groups are divided by light gray lines into what I will call "sections". How do I move a group of presets from one section to another?

For instance, I recently installed some purchased presets. They installed into their own section. Now, when I add a new group, it goes into that section. I would like to move that group into the same section as User Presets, or at least into a different section.

I have a Windows 10 PC that is up-to-date on maintenance. Here is a screen shot. The group that I would like to move is the group named "ISO Adaptive".

1614356196696.png

Thanks,

Alan Hunt

Solution
Adobe calls those sections "clusters". There is no way in the LR user interface to rearrange presets within clusters. You can manually edit a preset's cluster with a text editor:

1. Right-click a preset and do Show In Finder / Explorer.

2. Edit the .xmp file in a text editor like Notepad or Textedit.

3. Edit the crs:Cluster attribute.

If you want to put all your preset groups into a single cluster, you could use the free Fix Presets plugin. First do the Organize Into Folders command, then do Organize Into Groups (following the onscreen instructions carefully).
Adobe calls those sections "clusters". There is no way in the LR user interface to rearrange presets within clusters. You can manually edit a preset's cluster with a text editor:

1. Right-click a preset and do Show In Finder / Explorer.

2. Edit the .xmp file in a text editor like Notepad or Textedit.

3. Edit the crs:Cluster attribute.

If you want to put all your preset groups into a single cluster, you could use the free Fix Presets plugin. First do the Organize Into Folders command, then do Organize Into Groups (following the onscreen instructions carefully).

Solution
Also, for the presets that are built-in to LR, you won't be able to do Show In Finder / Explorer nor use Fix Presets to remove their clusters. You can find them in:

Mac: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings/Adobe/Presets
Win: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Resources\Settings\Adobe\Presets

You could edit their .xmp files, but beware that your edits will be lost when you do the next LR update.

Thanks again. It looks like some of my third party presets and all of those that I have created have a Cluster attribute of "". That explains why they all are in the same cluster. I played around assigning cluster names to some of them but it looks like things could get cumbersome fairly quick. So I will probably leave things as they are.

I really appreciate your clear and accurate explanation of how clusters work.

Alan

That's interesting. On my Mac I can right click on a preset and there is a Move option and I can move the preset to a new group. I can also Rename a preset or a group.

That's interesting. On my Mac I can right click on a preset and there is a Move option and I can move the preset to a new group. I can also Rename a preset or a group.
Right, with user presets you can rename them, move them into groups, and do Show In Finder/Explorer. But you can't move groups into different clusters.

With built-in presets, you can't rename them, move them into groups, or do Show In Finder/Explorer.

Thanks for your response. That works the same for me on Windows. My original question was how to control the grouping of groups. In the Preset panel, their are light gray horizontal lines between groups. As John R. Ellis said, those gray lines separate clusters. Assigning groups to other clusters was really what my original post was all about.

Does that make sense?

Alan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back