• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Secondary location for originals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Régis Corbet

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
CC
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hello,
I would like to know if some of you already made investigations on the possibility to indicate Lightroom a secondary location for original images.
For the moment I'm storing my Lightroom library on a fast SSD drive, and most of my originals on a RAID0 LaCie DAS. There's a mirror sync of these originals with a RAID5 Synology NAS. What I would like to achieve is to make that when I'm on the way, and of course the DAS is not accessible, indicate Lightroom to access originals on the NAS wich is accessible anywhere through a VPN connection.
Thanks in advance for your advisory on that. (and please pardon my English)
RC

You say "CC" as Lightroom version, but there is no such thing. There is Lightroom Classic, and there is Lightroom (desktop). Lightroom Classic needs originals to be locally (local disk or NAS), it won't work with originals on a remote server, unless that server can be mounted like local disk. Lightroom desktop stores originals in the cloud; any local storage is just a cache.

Right, with Lightroom classic and and a VPN connection I can see my shared drive as a local volume from anywhere, but I need to recreate the link to originals from the DAS to the NAS. The solution I was looking for is a way to Lightroom automatically make the switch. Is that clearer?

I don’t know of an automatic way. Any time you want to remap a folder to another file system location like a mirrored drive, you have to right-click the folder, choose Update Folder Location, and select the new folder you want to map to. For this purpose you would want to right-click the topmost parent folder of originals, so that all of the paths in the hierarchy under that folder would be updated too.

But the larger the number of photos, the longer this switch takes, as Lightroom Classic verifies all the paths in all subfolders. Across a network, it might take some time to complete each switch.

I realize that my idea is a bad idea. I should probably do better using Lightroom CC which is designed for mobility when I'm not in the office and eventually take control of my office computer remotely if I really need to access my entire library. Thank you for helping me point out the weaknesses in my strategy!

Right, with Lightroom classic and and a VPN connection I can see my shared drive as a local volume from anywhere, but I need to recreate the link to originals from the DAS to the NAS. The solution I was looking for is a way to Lightroom automatically make the switch. Is that clearer?
Lightroom Classic only knows one location, but switching should be fast and easy. If you store all photos in a folder hierarchy with one top folder, then all you need to do is right-click that top folder and choose ‘Update Folder Location’.

You say "CC" as Lightroom version, but there is no such thing. There is Lightroom Classic, and there is Lightroom (desktop). Lightroom Classic needs originals to be locally (local disk or NAS), it won't work with originals on a remote server, unless that server can be mounted like local disk. Lightroom desktop stores originals in the cloud; any local storage is just a cache.
FYI: In many threads in this thread, the Lightroom (desktop) version is called "cloudy."

I would consider the use of Smart Previews if you can make that work with your workflow. do you always have to have access to the original file when away from home, or will a Smart Preview suffice?

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back