• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Second Copy of LR5 Will Not Register

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
I am installing a copy of LR5 on my laptop. This installation is in addition to my desktop installation. It takes both the serial number for LR5 as well as LR$ since the LR% number is an upgrade. The program give me green checks after entering both numbers and proceeds to the next screen. I provide my name and email address as required and sen it off to register. But, I keep receiving a message that says Electronic Registration Failed. If I hit the Try Again button, I receive the same message. If I select the Goto Adobe.com button for web registration, I am taken to a page with a 404 bad link message. Any suggestions as to how I can get this machine registered. I did have a copy of LR5 on an older laptop, but that mchine's drive has been upgraded and it no longer contains a copy of LR. And, I am not receiving any message that says I have too many copies registered. Any suggestions would be greatly suggested as I am trying to get this machine ready for an upcoming trip and am tight on time.

Thanks,

--Ken

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Just for the sake of clarity, is there a difference between licensing my copy of LR5 and registering it? I am assuming they are the same, but the registration screen has a licensing page for the serial number(s) and a page for registration. Are they one in the same or different?

--Ken

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Quick update. I tried an Adobe chat session to see if they could resolve the problem. After remoting in to my machine after asking about a dozen or so questions, the rep wanted to re-install LR. I was not certain if he wanted to download another install copy or just re-install the existing one, but I declined due to time considerations and the fact that I do not like other people installing software on my machine. I am happy to re-install my copy (which I downloaded from Adobe recently) or use the install copy from my desktop which did register properly, but I am not inclined to believe this will solve the issue at hand. Quite frustrating.

--Ken

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Is there not an option to skip registration? IIRC, registration is optional (simply updates your Adobe account to register the purchase and the serial number), and so IS different to entering the serial number. There are no checks on the number of installs, up to and including LR5 it was all done on the "honour" system. It was LR6 that introduced the activation system.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. That is kind of what I was wondering and why I posted my second post. What I do not understand is that on my desktop, the registration page has an update box whereas the laptop only offers the Register Now box that is dimmed until all of the necessary boxes above are completed. I would think that since everything went well on the license page (two green check marks) that if I filled in the same registration information as my Adobe account that it would not reject the registration. I see the serial number showing on the System Info page so I am assuming that the software is no longer operating in trial mode. Should I just assume this is an Adobe bug and that I am good to go (and should ignore the registration page)?

--Ken

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Should I just assume this is an Adobe bug and that I am good to go (and should ignore the registration page)?
If Lightroom has successfully installed and runs OK, then yes, I'd certainly forget about the registration page.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
If Lightroom has successfully installed and runs OK, then yes, I'd certainly forget about the registration page.
That does seem to be the plan right now. I just wanted to make sure that I was not still in trial mode and finding myself in an awkward spot on day 31 if I was away from the internet and needing to use LR. I am also a bit annoyed that Adobe so tightly links licensing with registration that they appear to be on and the same. And I suspect that the bad link in the message is probably hard-baked into LR so it is not going to get addressed since LR5 is no longer officially supported. I am curious as to why my desktop did register correctly, but the laptop will not. But, I could wast a lot of time trying to understand what probably is a bug.

Thanks,

--Ken