• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Search & Replace in Filename (on Disk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrank

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 12.01
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
Hi, is there an easy way to "Search & Replace" parts in the filname? Usually I do all the file naming outside of any DAM software, but this time unfortunately I’ve forgotten it.
I have imported and reanmed a bunch of iPhone pictures all with name: the date in front and the original name at the end like " YYYY-MM-DD-IMG_1234".
How can I get rif off "IMG_" and keep the original number? In Capture One i can Search & Replace, but it seems like in 11 years nothing has improved in this area, regarding to a post I've found "Complex File Renaming – using Search & Replace – Lightroom Solutions". Hope somedoy has a solution here.

I have imported and reanmed a bunch of iPhone pictures all with name: the date in front and the original name at the end like " YYYY-MM-DD-IMG_1234".
How can I get rif off "IMG_" and keep the original number?
Easy enough to do in LrC. Rename using "Filename number suffix" instead of "Filename":

Filename_Template_Editor_and_Rename_1_Photo.png

Thanks to Photographer‘s Toolbox, it solved it. Sometimes I’m wondering what has really improved to Lightroom since version 6, except new camera profiles… All the meta data workflow hasn't…

Can you clarify, as these two statements contradict each other.
the original name of the imported file is IMG_1234. i wanted to get rid off IMG_ and keep only the number and add the date before. so far it's only possible with LR without plugins to keep the whole name. no search and replace of single characters.

Did you not understand the screenshot that I posted earlier? It shows how, using the available features of the LrC Filename Template Editor, it is a simple task to do what you appear to want. Using the very simple template that I constructed it converted filename "20211129_IMG_2722.jpg" to "20211129_2722.jpg", i.e. it removed the "IMG_" exactly as you wanted.

Did you not understand the screenshot that I posted earlier? It shows how, using the available features of the LrC Filename Template Editor, it is a simple task to do what you appear to want. Using the very simple template that I constructed it converted filename "20211129_IMG_2722.jpg" to "20211129_2722.jpg", i.e. it removed the "IMG_" exactly as you wanted.
okay, sorry i haven't tested it. yes , you are right. thanks a lot;-) this issue solved of my iphone photos . but, i still wish it's possible to do a more complex "search and replace"…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back