• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Search - Images in One Collection Only ("To Sort")

Status
Not open for further replies.

GingeraMan

Amateur Photographer ~ 4 years experience
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hey all..

I have a collection called "To Sort" - some sort of dumping ground I thought was a great idea at the time. So now it has a large number of images without an easy way to see if they have been applied to another collection...

Is there a way to find images that are in this collection only? Or images not in any collection at all?

Is the "Any Filter" plug-in a good start?

Thanks...

I think this works, though it is a bit odd, and might not be that easy if it's huge.

Select all other collections (easiest way is select all, then control click on the "To Sort").

On the grid, Select-All so every image is selected.

Click on the "To Sort" collection -- those selected above will appear selected in the "To Sort" collection, so you can see them, and by implication which are not thus in any collection.

It looked funny when there was only one image, I couldn't tell if it was previously selected or not, but it seemed to work otherwise. You can of course check any image by a right click on the image and look at the collections it is in.

Hopefully someone has a better way.

Well if it works it works, looks like a good option... So that will in effect select only pictures which are not in another collection.

It would be ones that are in some other collection selected, but there's a select-inverse.

Please do some careful checking -- the idea that it maintains the right selectivity across changes of which items are selected for display seems right, but I am not at all sure about it.

Again -- anyone else?

Assuming that you are only looking at normal collections, not smart collections, you could do the following. Rename your 'To Sort' collection to 'XYZ'. Then you can create a smart collection with two criteria that both need to apply:
1: Collection contains 'XYZ'
2: Collection does not contain 'a e i o u'
Assuming that the names of all your other collections will contain at least one vowel, this should work.

THanks, Hohan, much better than mine. And if you have collections without vowels, just go stick "A" at the end or something while you do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back