Search by Location in Metadata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnicole

Maybe I'm just not seeing this, but I can't figure out if I can search / filter images based on the Location Metadata?

I want to know if I'm being redundant creating keywords for places.

Thanks.

Of course you can!

From the "Library filter" bar you can choose to do a free text search for "Any searchable field".
Or, you can use "Library filter" and "Metadata" and select the "Location columns" at right. This gives you quick access to Country/State/City/Location where you will see all the entries.

You can also use this for smart collections.

Ah, now I see what I need to do. When I select Metadata, I have to select custom filter to get to the location columns. Great!

Text can work too, but not if it's in my own city as that is in my address. Am I right here or is there another layer of searching I'm not doing?

If your images are Geotagged, you can use Geoffrey Friedl's Geoproximity plug-in to search for files within a radius of X miles (or X feet or X kilometers...)

[quote author=lnicole link=topic=8'68.msg54995#msg54995 date=12551654'3]
Ah, now I see what I need to do. When I select Metadata, I have to select custom filter to get to the location columns. Great!

Text can work too, but not if it's in my own city as that is in my address. Am I right here or is there another layer of searching I'm not doing?
[/quote]

That depends on how you have applied your keywording. If all your images have your address entered as "Loire Valley" then it would be impossible to find all images taken in Loire Valley with a free text search, as it would find all images. But if you use the location field to describe where images are taken then you can search just that field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back