• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Searaching with more than one keyword

Status
Not open for further replies.

fin6107

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I'm using LR 4.3 and I'm wondering if it's possible to choose more than one keyword at a time to narrow down a search. For example, if I'd like to see all the pictures of birds taken in 2013, can I do this if I have two separate keywords of "2013" and "bird"?

Thanks,
Nancy

You can do this easiest with a Smart Collection
Match {all}
{keywords}{contains}{bird}
{keywords}{contains}{2013}

You can also use the metadata function in the Filter bar by making two columns be filters on keywords. In the first keyword column, select all of the images with the keyword "2013". In the second keyword column, select all of the images with the keyword "bird". In the example below I have selected the keyword "Shetlands" and the keyword "Atlantic Puffin". I do not need a Year keyword since the capture date is always present in the metadata.
LRScreen181.jpg

Thank you, Cletus. I like the Filter bar solution. It also worked using the Text option instead of Metadata and separating the keywords by a comma. Then I started playing around with the keyword list and figured out how to nest keywords to make my list shorter, so your answer led to a larger learning experience!

Nancy

In the text option you can also separate with a space only and if you start a keyword with a "!" (e.g. "!bird") than this keyword is excluded (e.g. {contains words} "Susan Frank !Charles" selects all fotos with Susan+Frank but NOT with Susan+Frank+Charles).
Franz

Thanks for the useful information. There is a lot more to keywords than I realized. I'm going to look for more information to make mine even more effective.
Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back