• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

script in LUA for reassigning DNG of same name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 11.0.1 [ 202111111509-eae8952e ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
hello to everybody here! i'm searching for a solution of this problem: after converting many sony native RAW files to DNG and switching to another catalog, i've lost connection to the converted files. the original ARW (raw files) have been deleted and replaced with DNG's, and LR is unable to relik them automatically in other catalogs than the one where you actually corverted them.

as reassigning the single photos is a very time consuming process (i've converted hundreds and hundreds of photos), i'm trying to find an existing script or maybe someone who could help.

basically, what i'm doing manually to fix the problem is to click on the exclamation point icon on the photo with missing original in the library. then i copy the base file name from the alert which appears in OSX file selector which appers for finding the file. then i input into the search field of the file selector by paste the copied base name and restrict the search area to the current data folder in which the photo is actually located and then select the corresponding DNG file - which has been filtered out - for updating the link in LR's library.

is there any scripting expert (LUA?) who could direct me to some piece of code? i'm also happy to pay for someone able to write such a script for me on a fair base, as it would really solve a big problem here.

kind regards

markus

Have you looked at my Syncomatic plugin? So if I have understood your problem, you might import both sets of files into the same catalogue, then use the plugin to copy all the ARW metadata and settings over to the corresponding DNGs, then remove the ARWs. In trial mode you should be able to see if this would help. Also, backup catalogues before doing this kind of thing.

It's worth adding that lua scripts or plugins are not allowed to change a LR record so that it refers to a different file in Finder/Explorer. However, a script or plugin can copy files in Finder/Explorer, ie outside LR. These are important parameters to understand and may help guide you.

john, thanks for the reply and insights. unfortunately, the original raw files are not existing anymore, so your plugin cannot help, if i am understanding it correctly.

good to know that plugins and scripts have no rights to change data records in LR, so my problem can basically not be solved that way. if LR had a way to accept DNG's instead of the original raws if these are missing, all my problems would be solved!

john, thanks for the tip. i decided to convert to DNG because i wanted to get smaller files, so embedding was no choice for me. seems there is no other way than manually reassigning them, very disappointing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back