• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! New cameras (including the Canon R5/R6), lens profiles and bug fixes, and the ability to disable built-in lens corrections for specific new cameras. Here's the usual list

Scanning old photos Lightroom + questions

Regarding scanning resolution:
Monitors resolutions vary a lot, but typically a "normal" monitor will provide about 100 dpi. In this case, your 600 dpi scanned image will look sharp up to a width (on the monitor) of 8.5". The image will pixelate if you magnify it.
In my view, it's always best to scan at the highest resolution possible - yes that means longer scanning times, but at least you'll be able to magnify the photo on-screen to see some smaller detail.
Good luck, Stephen

Hello. I am ready to go with scanning my photos. There are lots as I'm 62, so i need to get it right at the start. I have tried to find it out myself but would really appreciate some real advice from people with experience. So:
1. is there any reason to scan into a watched folder then import into LR, or (I would find it easier - as it cuts out a step) to choose the folder in the scan software. That way they go straight into the chosen folder - then I synchronize in Lightroom to recognise the photos. NB I scan them as JPEGS.
2. Is there any need then to export them to another folder?
3. So, I have several photos in a folder. I would like to change them all to one date but have the time incremental. I don't know the exact time but would like other programs like Google photos to show them in order during the day. I see the function on Lightroom under metadata/edit capture time/Adjust to a specified date and time. However, how do I get it to choose incremental time?
4. I'd like that date recognised by Google photos and elsewhere. Any tips?
5. I have worked out that the text you put in the 'caption' in the metada (e.g. to describe people) is recognised by Google photos and in the photo's file properties / details.
5. A question on resolution. My scanner allows me to scan at so many DPI. I am happy with scanning them at 600 dpi. I guess you will say it depends what i want them for. Well, I'm mainly doing it for my kids so they can view them on a PC screen either via google photos or on after downloading them onto their own PC/laptop.

OKAY, I'll stop there as I think those are the main questions I'm stuck with
Hello. I am ready to go with scanning my photos. There are lots as I'm 62, so i need to get it right at the start. I have tried to find it out myself but would really appreciate some real advice from people with experience. So:
1. is there any reason to scan into a watched folder then import into LR, or (I would find it easier - as it cuts out a step) to choose the folder in the scan software. That way they go straight into the chosen folder - then I synchronize in Lightroom to recognise the photos. NB I scan them as JPEGS.
2. Is there any need then to export them to another folder?
3. So, I have several photos in a folder. I would like to change them all to one date but have the time incremental. I don't know the exact time but would like other programs like Google photos to show them in order during the day. I see the function on Lightroom under metadata/edit capture time/Adjust to a specified date and time. However, how do I get it to choose incremental time?
4. I'd like that date recognised by Google photos and elsewhere. Any tips?
5. I have worked out that the text you put in the 'caption' in the metada (e.g. to describe people) is recognised by Google photos and in the photo's file properties / details.
5. A question on resolution. My scanner allows me to scan at so many DPI. I am happy with scanning them at 600 dpi. I guess you will say it depends what i want them for. Well, I'm mainly doing it for my kids so they can view them on a PC screen either via google photos or on after downloading them onto their own PC/laptop.

OKAY, I'll stop there as I think those are the main questions I'm stuck with