• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Scanner Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeTaylor

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 7.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi
I'm looking for a scanner that will work with (probably) VueScan and Lightroom as I have a ton of black and white 35mm negs (mainly from a Canon A1) and several tons of my father in laws 35mm colour slides to digitise and then process into Lightroom. Any thoughts for an under £500 scanner would be most welcome.

Hi
I'm looking for a scanner that will work with (probably) VueScan and Lightroom as I have a ton of black and white 35mm negs (mainly from a Canon A1) and several tons of my father in laws 35mm colour slides to digitise and then process into Lightroom. Any thoughts for an under £500 scanner would be most welcome.
Suggest that you look at a used scanner from eBay rather than a new film scanner. Minolta and Nikon made really high quality units.

As far as I know, there is not a single scanner made in the last 10-15 years (or farther back) that will not work with VueScan. They are incredibly consistent on keeping the software updated, which means there are a lot of scanners to chose from; you do want high scanning ppi, however, at least 2,000 or more. VueScan has some really good tutorials on their website, and now through their newsletter, about scanning. Another option is to use a digital camera, which may allow you to move faster than you can with a scanner. Peter Krogh has just published a book about it, ; you can get very fine results (as does the Library of Congress, for whom he consults): Digitize Your Photos with Your Camera and Lightroom. You can see him in action on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxmFjvFLPu4.

As far as I know, there is not a single scanner made in the last 10-15 years (or farther back) that will not work with VueScan.

It didn't want to work with the scanner part of an AIO Canon MP600. Nothing recognizes it in Win10. Everything in Win10 recognizes the printer part of it - just not the scanner. I think it was on the list of supported scanners in Vuescan, but in practice I just could not get it to work at all. (And I'm a technical type.)

I think I bought it in 2006, so that comes in at the 12-year mark - unless it actually came out a while before I bought it at Best Buy.

I ended up getting a stand-alone scanner, an Epson Perfection V600 Photo. It currently sits on top of the Canon MP600.

I'm going through the process of digitising my collection of slides and negatives, both colour and b&w. I've been using the Plustek 8100 which you can get for £169 from Wex and comes bundled with Silverfast. Had good results so far although it did take me a little time to get used to Silverfast and the various settings and formats for output files. If you have a bigger budget you might consider one of the more advanced models. I purchased some spare holders which allow me to load film/slides whilst scanning others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back