• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Saving metadata to some files doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

nojoo

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I have some files (jpg) which metadata status is "Has been changed" and I can't save the metadata to files. Files are at the same drive with catalog. This is not big problem but I wonder why this simple job doesn't work.
-NJ

Welcome to the forum.

So, what exactly happens when you try to save metadata?

Thank you

It looks like that LR writes metadata ("status bar" at upper left corner shows that). Metadata status is still "Has been changed".

When I used Lightrooms search to see all these files which have status "Has been changed", and then select these files and hit cmd + S. What happens is that image disappear from search results but within few seconds come back.

-NJ

OK, I think this sounds like an old problem. Try this on one file....make sure you do Ctrl-S to copy the catalog's metadata to the file, wait for the Metadata Status to revert back to "Has Been Changed" then do a Metadata>Read Metadata From File. Hopefully that should revert the status back to "Up to date" and this time it should stick.

If that works OK, repeat on the others.

This advice helped with jpg-files, thank you.
One of the "problem files" is dng and I try to fix it command "Metadata>Update DNG Previews & Metadata" but it still have status "Metadata has beeb changed". This image is going to Trash, so it's no problem.

-NJ

Removing the offending image from the catalogue and the reimporting often does the trick. Of course you have to cmd-S save settings, note down the folder the image lives in, and make sure you're just removing it from the catalogue and not the disk!

Does anyone know if this bug ever going to be fixed?? It seems like it's getting worse and worse with each new upgrade (now at LR 5.4)... It's now taking several cycles of 'save', 'save', 'read', 'read', etc.. Trying in different orders even nowadays whereas in earlier versions it would just take a couple/few 'saves' and then one 'read'.

This keeps happening EVERY time there has been any change to a few images. It's getting sickeningly frustrating. JPG/DNG - it doesn't matter. <sigh>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back