• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Saving Image at 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telescopist

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I up to date with version 10.3. I imaged a wren on a bird feeder. I'm pleased with the detail when I blow the image up to 100%. I'd like to export a copy of this expanded image. How do I go about doing this? I went through this convoluted process of printing the screen in LR/pasting into Paint/Cropping/Saving as a JPEG. There has to be an easier way!
Wren 100%.jpg
Wren Fit.jpg

TIA
Telescopist

Easy. Crop your photo to the way you want it to look. Then, when you export, uncheck "Resize to fit" in the Image Sizing section of the Export dialogue. You'll need to scroll down in the dialogue.
2021-06-15 15_04_39-Window.png

You could try super-resolution for cranking up the size of the crop, either with a copy or virtual copy.

Also: we have that Squirrel-buster bird-feeder, and it really does the job!

Easy. Crop your photo to the way you want it to look. Then, when you export, uncheck "Resize to fit" in the Image Sizing section of the Export dialogue. You'll need to scroll down in the dialogue.
View attachment 16753

Thanks! Sorry for the delay in responding back. One other question: In these cropped close up images where detail is important, what other aspects of image sizing should be considered? Also, I have not dabbled around with Output Sharpening. I see you have that checked as well. What is the advantage here? Here is a new take on the bird and the screen shot of the settings I used.

Attachments

• DSCF1355.jpg
    DSCF1355.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
  • Export Data.jpg
    Export Data.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 87
You could try super-resolution for cranking up the size of the crop, either with a copy or virtual copy.

Also: we have that Squirrel-buster bird-feeder, and it really does the job!
I'll have to check out super-resolution. I am not familiar with this tool. Thanks. The squirrels are real pests. You are right this feeder works! It was pretty amusing watch them go through the discovery phase. Now they hang around beneath the feeder eating up the fallout.

Attachments

• DSCF1349.jpg
    DSCF1349.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 88
Thanks! Sorry for the delay in responding back. One other question: In these cropped close up images where detail is important, what other aspects of image sizing should be considered? Also, I have not dabbled around with Output Sharpening. I see you have that checked as well. What is the advantage here? Here is a new take on the bird and the screen shot of the settings I used.

Let’s back up a bit. 100% is a meaningless term. In Lightroom or any photo app, you work with pixels. Pixels are the size of the recording media (photo sensor) or the display media (computer screen) One pixel of the image is displayed as one pixel on your computer is 100%. Resizing (upsizing or down sizing) is achieved by a translation of the pixels from the source (image file) to the destination media (Screen, print or export file). Normally you do not want to resize on export so your derivative image file will contain the same number of pixels as the original image (or cropped portion). Ignore everything else.

What you are wanting is to display at the best resolution. The best resolution is a factor of your lens quality and the camera sensor. A 300mm telephoto lens is the minimum recommended for birds.

Your cropped image is only 1297pixels wide. If you have a monitor that is 3840 x 2160 or 4K or Ultra High Definition (UHD), then at 100%, your image will take up about 1/3 the width of the screen. This is something that no amount of Lightroom adjusting can alter.
If you use the new Super Resolution function to double the number of pixels, you image at the new 100% will still only be 2/3 of the UHD monitor that I used for comparison.

The things that you can do to improve your resolution is to a) get a better lens b) get a bigger camera with a bigger sensor and more pixels per sensor c) get closer to the subject.

The things that you can do in Lightroom to enhance the resolution that has to exist in the image to begin with is to make use of the following tools: The Texture Tool, the Clarity tool and SuperResolution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let’s back up a bit. 100% is a meaningless term. In Lightroom or any photo app, you work with pixels. Pixels are the size of the recording media (photo sensor) or the display media (computer screen) One pixel of the image is displayed as one pixel on your computer is 100%. Resizing (upsizing or down sizing) is achieved by a translation of the pixels from the source (image file) to the destination media (Screen, print or export file). Normally you do not want to resize on export so your derivative image file will contain the same number of pixels as the original image (or cropped portion). Ignore everything else.

What you are wanting is to display at the best resolution. The best resolution is a factor of your lens quality and the camera sensor. A 300mm telephoto lens is the minimum recommended for birds.

Your cropped image is only 1297pixels wide. If you have a monitor that is 3840 x 2160 or 4K or Ultra High Definition (UHD), then at 100%, your image will take up about 1/3 the width of the screen. This is something that no amount of Lightroom adjusting can alter.
If you use the new Super Resolution function to double the number of pixels, you image at the new 100% will still only be 2/3 of the UHD monitor that I used for comparison.

The things that you can do to improve your resolution is to a) get a better lens b) get a bigger camera with a bigger sensor and more pixels per sensor c) get closer to the subject.

The things that you can do in Lightroom to enhance the resolution that has to exist in the image to begin with is to make use of the following tools: The Texture Tool, the Clarity tool and SuperResolution.

If I were a professional photographer making a living out there, I’d spring for a full-frame body. But I am not a professional photographer and will try to get the best out of my Fujifilm X-T3. I'm pleased with the exchange I made with KEH recently. That is how I acquired the Fujinon 55-200. Granted it’s not the ideal choice for photographing birds. That may change once Canada is open again. We have plans to transport our 21-foot RV by ferry from North Sydney, Nova Scotia to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland. Then spend about 3 weeks camping, exploring, and doing some sea scape photography (among other things).

If I wasn’t constrained by budgetary issues, I might consider springing for a Fujifilm GFX 100S which as you know is a medium format camera. But then I’d be on the money merry go round when it comes to purchasing lenses. With respect to birds and your observation that the minimally acceptable lens size is 300mm, I am looking at a refurbished Fujifilm XF100-400mm F4.5-5.6.

Regarding monitors could you make a recommendation? Mine is a Dell 24-inch WUXGA Monitor (1920x1200).

Using the LR tools you mentioned – Texture, Clarity, and Super Resolution is duly noted! Thanks for the effort you put into this explanation. It clarified a lot of things.

If I were a professional photographer making a living out there, I’d spring for a full-frame body. But I am not a professional photographer and will try to get the best out of my Fujifilm X-T3. I'm pleased with the exchange I made with KEH recently..
You don’t need to be a professional photographer to be a serious bird photographer. But you do need to own the right lens for the task. I had an X-T3 and the lenses to go with it for some serious bird and macro nature photography. I found it to be limiting when it came to getting the most out of my nature photography. I sold everything to KEH and Bought a new (then) Nikon Z7 for about the same price that I got from my Fuji gear. I’ve had other APS-C cameras but I have come to respect Nikon full frame cameras for their ease of use and capability. The Nikon mirrorless are the best replacement of DSLRs. I have 48mp in a 36x24mm sensor.
It is important to note that the 300mm is the minimum for a bird lens. Getting in close and then having room to crop makes up for the loss of pixels and makes that full frame sensor that much more important.

I can’t recommend a new monitor as i am in the market to replace my 2K monitor myself. I will be waiting to see what others have to say in response to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back