Save Metadata vs Read Metadata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrieb

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
4.x
I made changes to a photo in Camera Raw (in Photoshop). When I right-click the image in Lightroom, I have the option to "Save Metadata to File" or "Read Metadata from File." What is the difference?

Depending on the Camera Raw settings, your edits will either be stored in the Camera Raw database or in an XMP file. If they were stored in an XMP file, then 'Read Metadata from File' will read those settings into Lightroom. 'Write Metadata to File' does the opposite: it writes the Lightroom settings to XMP and so it may overwrite what you did in Camera Raw. But why did you use Camera Raw in the first place if you have the image in Lightroom?

Ah, I see. Thank you! I use LR to organize my photos, but I edit in Camera Raw (bc Scott Kelby told me to). :)

I don't know why he did (if he really did) told you to do that. The develop module in Lightroom is identical to Camera Raw, so it doesn't make any sense to work that way. It only complicates things and makes it a lot more likely that you'll lose work because you made a mistake.

Well, by "told me to," I of course mean I went to his workshop and I have his book. He edits in Camera Raw, so that is how I'm learning to do it. I see your point that it over complicates the process to go outside of LR for editing. I'll consider it. Thanks!

While the functionality is the same, the user interface in LR is much more intuitive that the ACR plugin in Photoshop.

Agreed. And even more reason not to use ACR for editing if you have Lightroom...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back