• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Save Metadata to selected files-doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose Weir

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I have a smart collection filtered on the Metadata field containing words 'has changed' because I do not have auto save turned on in the preferences.
Select all images in that collection, Save Metadata to file, completes, wait a few seconds.......
Images come back....can be a few, can be almost all. I automatically wait to be sure the action has been successful.
Use update dng preview and save metadata retains the up to date status.
I do the update preview choice when there is an image that has been brought into action from past years but if it is current week images I just repeat the 'save' routine. Today it was current images that kept returning.

The catalog is optimized when the weekly backup is done and the last backup was Feb 28/13.
Is there some step I'm missing because this has become rather consistent in behaviour?

Rose

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Rose. It's not you. It's a bug which rears its ugly head from time to time.

If it keeps happening, write the metadata to the files then read it back again usually stops it recurring.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Rose, this is a known bug which has been around for quite a while, though it seemed to get worse with LR4. Have you tried the usual trick of doing a Ctrl+S to write the metadata to XMP, then reading it back into Lightroom (Metadata>Read Metadata from file)? That usually fixes it, but it's still a mystery why it happens. There's some suggestion that it might be related to spot removals at less that 100% opacity, but I've not been able to trigger it by doing that.

Edit: beaten by the Queen....again!

Rose Weir

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
'write the metadata to XMP, then reading it back into Lightroom (Metadata>Read Metadata from'
Haven't considered the 'read metadata'...will use that.
I changed a major selection for keywords and ended up writing metadata to small selections of that large group....about 3000 images. Since I have gathered 3 years into one catalog with seasonal keywords I decided that all the summer with the year could also have a global keyword...what a carry-on that was.
So....when the images that were 'saved' come back, select all and do the Read metadata..
OR is this a Ctrl-S on the individual image and then do a global 'read metadata' on that particular folder?
Well....I'll find out <grin>
Rose

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Just a read metadata on the ones that keep coming back will do fine - you could drop them in the Quick Collection temporarily if they disappear.

CJR

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I also had 40 pictures which wouldn’t save metadatato file. I followed Victoria’s advise “to write the metadata to XMP, then reading it back into Lightroom”.After this 24 pictures were updated indeed but the remaining 16 did not. At acloser look these particular 16 photos are all virtual copies. What else can Ido to also get these virtual copies updated? Thank you.

CJR

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thank you Jim Wilde, that makes sense. To avoidthis in future I have added a second argument to the Smart Collection rulesi.e. <Copy Name> <doesn’tcontain> <Copy>. After this allremaining 16 Virtual Copies were also removed from the Smart Collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.