Running LR on two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rph9

I am attempting to run LR on two separate PC's: work and home. I use MS Synctoy to syncronize the photo files and LR Catalog, BUT I have found LR crashes ("LR has encountered an error and must shut down") which I expect is due to the lack of syncronized Lightroom Catalog Previews. Is it really necessary to copy these hundreds of little files back and forth between computers? I thought LR would just re-create these previews if they weren't present. I, of course, want to keep my editing steps intact on both computers or I could just use "export catalog". Any suggestions?

Why on earth are you trying to keep synced copies of your database in two places? Way more work and stress than you should be putting yourself through! :shock:

Lack of sync'd catalog previews *shouldn't* be a problem, as far as I know. It should just rebuild anything it's missing.

Which machine is crashing Lightroom? One or both? I'd be tempted to say it's catalog corruption causing the problem, or if just one machine, possibly corrupted preferences or presets somewhere.

Easiest solution, by a long shot, is simply to keep your Lightroom catalog on an external drive, that can be plugged into whichever computer you're using at the time.

And welcome to the forum!

The best way as Victoria suggested is to have your catalog on a ex/drive, I do this and which ever pc/laptop i use just plug and play as they say..

Why on earth are you trying to keep synced copies of your database in two places? Way more work and stress than you should be putting yourself through! :shock:

If I may answer this question...I too would like to do this. Why? So that I can work on my photos in LR on my laptop while on the road, and then work on the same photos at home on my desktop machine. It's the ultimate in flexibility.

You can, but you don't need to keep all photos synchronized across two (or more) machines. That's just too much work. Victoria and ttk have it right... use an external drive and plug in to the computer you wish to use. Everything remains portable and you don't have the headache of trying to keep everything in sync.

Or, I suppose you could export/import catalogs which will also do what you want, and is how I currently handle photo processing on my laptop. I shoot images and import them into the laptop. I might work on them if time permits. When I get home, I export my catalog from the laptop and import it into the desktop. Everything transfers perfectly, including any edits that I did on the laptop. I will then remove everything from the laptop so that it is ready for the next session.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Of course, there is an advantage to keeping the main files on the desktop, and only using the external on my laptop - external drives are usually slower than internal drives.

So there would be a case for having a catalog that lives on the internal desktop drive, which is sync'd to the external drive to use on the laptop. Still a single catalog, but it's just transferred back and forth using sync software. Of course, you have to remember which one you used last in that case, but that's actually my preferred course of action at this point in time. It means I utilize the full speed of the internal hard drives on my desktop, but I have access to an up to date copy elsewhere if I need it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. External drive is probably the way to go. LR did crash on both computers when opening with pix synced and catalog synced as well, but not previews. Since I already use an external HD (and Microsoft Synctoy) to keep all 3 computers synced, I might as well just keep the catalogs and pix on that drive and work from it. LR does seem more tempermental in this regard than the 2' or so other programs I keep synced on multiple computers this way, but.....why fight it?

I googled this question because I have the same issue. I travel for half of the year and sync my computers when I return home. While I haven't looked at a newer thread as of yet, I felt the need to respond this comment as it is rather narrow minded.

Many users do not want to use an external usb device to edit very large, original files. As the drive used is the biggest bottleneck when it comes to speed, putting your files on a slower device instead of using your internal drives makes little sense. That is, unless you don't care about having any free time to take photos. Lightroom is supposed to speed up the process, not bring it to a slow crawl.

SyncBack is great sync software and is very intuitive. I haven't had any issues with Lightroom crashing. Once you specify the folders you want to sync, I would suggest creating a test catalogue to determine that everything you want to be sync'd (photos, metadata, develop settings, etc) are being copied back and forth properly.

Now... to look for answers to my question. I don't feel like asking it here since I've already seen the quality of responses I'm to receive. :p

zcline;37'11 said:
While I haven't looked at a newer thread as of yet ....

I don't feel like asking it here since I've already seen the quality of responses I'm to receive. :p

Well, thanks for the input. We sincerely value your opinion of our efforts, based on reading a single post in a single thread.

Try the Adobe User to User forums, that's a friendly knowledgable place for folks with strong opinions.

Brad Snyder;37'19 said:
Well, thanks for the input. We sincerely value your opinion of our efforts, based on reading a single post in a single thread.

Try the Adobe User to User forums, that's a friendly knowledgable place for folks with strong opinions.

A single post from the Administrator! I didn't pick a response from a newbie. ;)

I tend to use thedambook.com user forum for lightroom and other management questions, but after quickly searching through this forum it seems to serve as a great exchange of information.

Brad Snyder;37'19 said:

Brad, I think you are reading too much into this. I believe he is saying, he doesn't need to pose the question, because judging from answers here, Which he apparently likes and appreciates, he will find his answer by searching other threads at our forum!

Did I get that correct, zcline? And welcome to the friendly skies of LRF! :)

Don

DonRicklin;37'23 said:
Brad, I think you are reading too much into this. I believe he is saying, he doesn't need to pose the question, because judging from answers here, Which he apparently likes and appreciates, he will find his answer by searching other threads at our forum!

Did I get that correct, zcline? And welcome to the friendly skies of LRF! :)

Don

Nope, I think Brad got it right, although it did come off a bit harsh on my end. Just couldn't believe that a forum admin would completely disregard the question and instead tell him that he is doing something negative. I thought to myself, "yikes, if this is how people respond maybe I won't post a question."

Searching through the forum there seems to be a lot of great comments (and questions). Just felt the need to throw in the option to use SyncBack as it completely syncs my Lightroom catalog, photos and settings with one click. :)

EDIT: Ah! I always hit send before finishing! Wanted to thank Don for welcoming me to the forum.

Welcome and thanks for your positive comments. I think we can all get a bit scratchy at times (yes, me too!!), enjoy your self here and I look forward to seeing some more of your posts.......:lol::lol:;)

zcline;37'27 said:
Nope, I think Brad got it right, although it did come off a bit harsh on my end. Just couldn't believe that a forum admin would completely disregard the question and instead tell him that he is doing something negative. I thought to myself, "yikes, if this is how people respond maybe I won't post a question."

Welcome aboard. I look forward to your participation.

What about a wireless network?

I just bought LR 2 and have it installed on the desktop and laptop. Am I asking for trouble when I accessed files stored on the desktop through the network while using the laptop? If I make modifications to images using the laptop, will I be able to then use that same image file (that is actually on the desktops HD) while working on the desktop?
My guess is that it would work OK - because the modifications done on the laptop will only be evident when using LR on the laptop? I just wouldn't see any of the modifications to the file when I am using LR on the desktop - or would I?

Maybe my answer is to simply not use the same file on both computers? It certainly would be convenient to be able to do that, though.

Ken

Ken, if what you want to do is to work on the laptop and then continue from where you left but from the desktop and vice versa:

Just write the changes back to the original file. This will not affect the original image within the file (container). To do so, either enable "Automatically write changes to XMP" in the configuration of both computers or/and hit Ctrl-S to commit the changes. This will export the changes you made to the image normally kept only in the database to the original file if it is JPEG, TIFF or PSD. For the raw formats (CR2, NEF etc), a separate XMP type file with the name of the of the original will be created.

Keep in mind that changes made to the Catalog on one computer will not be seen automatically by the other. You will have to read the XMP info into the unaware Catalog.

Example: Work on Laptop... Ctrl-S on all changed images, close Lightroom. On Desktop, open Lightroom, select images changed from laptop and choose the option "Read Metadata from files". This last step will bring to the Desktop's Catalog the changes made on the laptop's Catalog. Similarly, CTRL-S on Desktop, then Read Metadata on Laptop.

Denis Pagé;37'81 said:
Ken, if what you want to do is to work on the laptop and then continue from where you left but from the desktop and vice versa:

Just write the changes back to the original file. This will not affect the original image within the file (container). To do so, either enable "Automatically write changes to XMP" in the configuration of both computers or/and hit Ctrl-S to commit the changes. This will export the changes you made to the image normally kept only in the database to the original file if it is JPEG, TIFF or PSD. For the raw formats (CR2, NEF etc), a separate XMP type file with the name of the of the original will be created.

Keep in mind that changes made to the Catalog on one computer will not be seen automatically by the other. You will have to read the XMP info into the unaware Catalog.

Example: Work on Laptop... Ctrl-S on all changed images, close Lightroom. On Desktop, open Lightroom, select images changed from laptop and choose the option "Read Metadata from files". This last step will bring to the Desktop's Catalog the changes made on the laptop's Catalog. Similarly, CTRL-S on Desktop, then Read Metadata on Laptop.

Thanks Denis - great explanation. Is the fact that the desktop is running XP and the laptop running Vista a problem?

Ken

kgilby;371'1 said:
Thanks Denis - great explanation. Is the fact that the desktop is running XP and the laptop running Vista a problem?

Ken
No problem. You can even have one being Windows and the other MAC OS! :)

EDIT: For OS X, use Cmd-S rather than Ctrl-S... Also, the files on the Windows system are to be on a FAT partition as Mac OS read but do not write NTFS file system.

Thanks Denis!

Denis...

I just went into LR on the laptop, in Library mode, highlighted the 5 images from the desktop hd that I had manipulated earlier, and hit ctl-s. I got the message "'Writing XMP Metadata' did not complete successfully. 5 images failed." With the option to either Ignore or Show in Library.

Any obvious reason for this that I just don't see?

Thanks again,

Ken

It seem you reverted operations. You had to Ctrl-S on the Desktop to write changes and close Lightroom. Then from Laptop, open Lightroom and "Read Metadata from files" not doing Ctrl-S again as this would anihilate the first save.

Second thing to check is that you have sufficient rights to write to the Desktop folders from the laptop.

Denis,
OK, just so I am sure before trying this again -

I originally was working on the laptop, in LR, and imported files via the network that are stored on the desktop. I then processed them on the laptop.

Now, to be able to work on those same files from within LR on the desktop, I should import them into LR on the desktop (since they were not already in that library) and then do the ctl-s on those images from with LR on the desktop? I have myself thoroughly confused, and I thought I was doing so well :lol:.

Wait a minute. Are you assuming that all the files on the desktop are already included in its Library?

I hope you understand my situation and can help, because I'm having a hard time spitting it out here.

Ken

You get it reversed! And yes I was assuming that the images were already imported in both Catalogs; The one on the desktop and the other on the laptop.
I originally was working on the laptop, in LR, and imported files via the network that are stored on the desktop. I then processed them on the laptop.
OK. Fine. But Ctrl-S is to Save the changes to the files XMPs, not to read them!
Now, to be able to work on those same files from within LR on the desktop, I should import them into LR on the desktop (since they were not already in that library) and then do the ctl-s on those images from with LR on the desktop? I have myself thoroughly confused, and I thought I was doing so well :lol:.
As they were not previously imported in this Catalog, yes, just import and the import will read the changes made in the laptop from the XMPs data. No need to save unless you make further change to them. If you do make changes then do a Ctrl-S.
Wait a minute. Are you assuming that all the files on the desktop are already included in its Library?
With the above steps, they will effectively be already included from now on. But as you can't import twice the same images, this is where it is changing. In the above step (importing on desktop) the XMP (changes) data was automatically read by importing. But in the future, as you can't import twice, you will have to read the metadata from file rather than import again.

Example from the unread originals:
  • Images on desktop not yet imported anywhere
  • From laptop, import images in Lightroom
  • Work on images from laptop
  • Save those changes with Ctrl-S
  • Close Lightroom
  • From desktop, import images in Lightroom
  • Work on images from desktop
  • Close Lightroom
  • From now on for existing images in both catalogs...
  • From laptop, you can't import again and the last changes you did on the desktop are not visible yet. So, select the images and "Read metadata from files" to bring those changes into the laptop's Catalog
  • Work on images from laptop
  • Close Lightroom
  • From desktop, you can't import again and the last changes you did on the laptop are not visible yet. So, select the images and "Read metadata from files" to bring those changes into the desktop's Catalog
  • Work on images from desktop
  • Close Lightroom
  • Repeat from the red note... Ad vitam aeternam...
For new images, start from first step on either the desktop or laptop.

EDIT: NOTE: Ctrl-S will not save changes for all images but only the selected ones! So take care to select you images before hitting Ctrl-S! Alternative method: Enable "Autowrite to XMP" on both machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back