Status
Not open for further replies.

tspear

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Over the weekend I was playing around with both Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services for another company I and few others are starting.
I then had the idea, would running Lr in a virtual terminal work? You could provision a super fast workstation and only pay when you turn it on/off. For the occasional user this may get you access to incredible performance at a marginal cost.
Has anyone tried this? Is this idea just a little to crazy?

@ghaing

FYI, the features you mention in Google Drive; are available in Microsoft OneDrive, NetCloud, and dozens of others. Nothing really special about it anymore.

Every year or so I do some basic tests to see if the VM / VDI solution will work. So far, I have found VM/VDI works well for meta-data. Allows sRGB editing from underpowered devices, if you have a low latency connection, and are patient. It does dramatically slow down my editing images compared to my desktop, which is a rather fast machine. And if you are smart with how you manage the files, you can actually move the VM/VDI solution around the world as you travel, keeping the server located as near as possible to reduce latency.

Tim

FYI, the features you mention in Google Drive; are available in Microsoft OneDrive, NetCloud, and dozens of others. Nothing really special about it anymore.

Indeed, which is why I sais "seen in modern cloud storage clients." I haven't done extensive testing so I can't comment thoroughly and only from first hand experience, but I have found Google Drive to be very stable and reliable and haven't once met a conflict where I have done previously. I'm sure it's still possible but I presume it's just better or quicker (presumption only) at synchronising files. And it's mapped as a drive whereas OneDrive and Dropbox are directories located in your already existing folder structure.

Of course I know the offline files do in fact sit on your drive with Google Drive FS also, I just mean from an user facing perspective, I like that it's mapped (to G: obviously haha)

hi, am newbie. have 30k photos on my hard drive, running LR6. Would like to run it from OneDrive [would have to buy more space] but have heard mixed reviews on whether this can work. if i put the catelog and as well the images on one drive [ie allow onedrive to see my photos folder on my computer, how will it work. I am concerned about speed of synch. If i make one change in a file, and i have lots of dng files, i thinkthe chhanges only go to the catelog, but some have said every time they make a change, LR trys to synch all the images, and of course that wont work with internet connection.

My info is old, so if anyone has a way to run LR on a cloud storage device, i am all ears.

hi, am newbie. have 30k photos on my hard drive, running LR6. Would like to run it from OneDrive [would have to buy more space] but have heard mixed reviews on whether this can work. if i put the catelog and as well the images on one drive [ie allow onedrive to see my photos folder on my computer, how will it work. I am concerned about speed of synch. If i make one change in a file, and i have lots of dng files, i thinkthe chhanges only go to the catelog, but some have said every time they make a change, LR trys to synch all the images, and of course that wont work with internet connection.

My info is old, so if anyone has a way to run LR on a cloud storage device, i am all ears.

One Drive is Cloud storage of local folders. If you put your images in OneDrive folders on your computer, you do not save any space on the computer. But you can share the OneDrive folder with any other computer running OneDrive.
If you want to store your master copy of your images in the cloud, you might want to consider an Adobe Photography plan subscription All of your images can be stored at Adobe and shared with any device with an internet connection that can run a mobile version of Lightroom.

Neither of these cloud options should be considered a “backup” plan since there is no UnDo to recover from mistakes and deleted images are only retained for a short period of time in the “Deleted” folder in the cloud.

Lightroom (cloudy) is not a full featured replacement of Lightroom 6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, you can do that. In fact that is how I run. I have all images and catalog in my OneDrive.

Originally I did this to have everything replicate to my laptop. You have to ensure all replication is completed before opening on the second computer, but it is doable. Note: if you are not careful you will end up with conflicts and potential corruption. So only do it if you are confident you know what you are doing and how OneDrive works.

In terms of uploads. If you have write meta-data back to image; and you either converted to DNG or have a format which supports the meta-data yes; each time you make edits/changes you will upload the catalog and the images when you exit Lr. If you leave meta-data writes off, then only the catalog files are changing and that is all which will be synced when you exit Lr.

As Cletus mentions, this is all separate from a real backup solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back