• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Running Lightroom Classic on Either of Two Laptops (sync catalogue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwwinaz

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I want to run Lightroom Classic on either of my two Windows 10 laptops (not at the same time). All my images are on my NAS. The recommended way is to put the catalogue on a portable drive. I was doing this but it was a pain to move the portable drive back and forth. Since I run sync software (SyncbackSE) to backup my catalogue to my NAS, just syncing the catalogue between my two laptops seems like an easier method. Just sync the Lightroom catalogue over the LAN after exiting Lightroom. This does work but I haven't been able to make it automatic.

My sync program has an option to run a sync automatically when a program ends. However, apparently Adobe uses Creative Cloud to run individual programs, the sync program can not identify when Lightroom Classic ends.

While the NAS is always available, syncing with a sleeping laptop needs Wake Over LAN which I haven't been able to setup.

I can sync automatically when a file changes or periodically. This seems risky if syncing while the catalogue is locked.

Currently I'm just manually running the sync between a laptop and the NAS before starting and after running Lightroom Classic. I don't sync the previews so the syncs run very fast (usually less than one minute and if there were no changes to the catalogue then only a few seconds).

I would be interested in any suggested improvements to keeping the catalogue on two laptops in sync.

Lightroom Classic is a standalone application. It runs independently from the Creative Cloud App Manager. You should be able to trigger the sync app to run automatically when LrC ends. Another option would be to backup your catalog using the Lightroom Classic back up on exit and backup to the NAS. Then you only need to start the second computer and unzip the catalog backup located on the NAS and copy it over your local LrC copy.

I want to run Lightroom Classic on either of my two Windows 10 laptops (not at the same time). All my images are on my NAS. The recommended way is to put the catalogue on a portable drive. I was doing this but it was a pain to move the portable drive back and forth. Since I run sync software (SyncbackSE) to backup my catalogue to my NAS, just syncing the catalogue between my two laptops seems like an easier method. Just sync the Lightroom catalogue over the LAN after exiting Lightroom. This does work but I haven't been able to make it automatic.

My sync program has an option to run a sync automatically when a program ends. However, apparently Adobe uses Creative Cloud to run individual programs, the sync program can not identify when Lightroom Classic ends.

While the NAS is always available, syncing with a sleeping laptop needs Wake Over LAN which I haven't been able to setup.

I can sync automatically when a file changes or periodically. This seems risky if syncing while the catalogue is locked.

Currently I'm just manually running the sync between a laptop and the NAS before starting and after running Lightroom Classic. I don't sync the previews so the syncs run very fast (usually less than one minute and if there were no changes to the catalogue then only a few seconds).

I would be interested in any suggested improvements to keeping the catalogue on two laptops in sync.
I use Lightroom on a desktop and a laptop, and I use a file sync program to keep the catalog up to date on both devices. But be sure to also backup your Lightroom and ACR preferences as well. For Windows, that means folders (by default) C:\Users\(your userID)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom and C:\Users\phil\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw.

A side benefit of backing up the settings folders is that plug-ins installed in Lightroom on one device will automatically be installed in Lightroom on the other device.

Phil Burton

Thanks for suggestions. I do keep catalogue backups on my NAS. I created a new sync for the two Roaming folders and a group to run both syncs. I did remove the files related to GPU from being synced. I'm not sure what they do but since there are different GPUs it seemed safest to not include them.

On one laptop I keep the lid closed and only use an external 28" monitor at resolution 3840 x 2160 (4K). The other has the laptop screen and an external 24" monitor both at resolution 1920 x 1080. I don't know if there are any other settings or preferences that would not be compatible between the systems.

I used Rosilio Sync to sync catalogs (and much more) between my Macs (2012 rMBP & 2014 5K) for years, never had an issue. Image files were either synced on the internal SSD or on an external HDD connected via USB. When using the external HDD, and needing access to the original files, I could could move the HDD to the computer I was using. I was never cool enough to have a NAS haha.

File syncing is one way to handle it but you will want to be sure you have a good back-up setup in place if it goes sideways.

Another option to consider is using an emulation program to operate one computer remotely from the other.

Take a look at this article: How to Connect Two or More Computers to One Monitor

Stardock Mulitiplicity is a software program that lets you control multiple computers from one computer. This would allow you to access your desktop computer from your laptop or vice versa.

I don’t think you need a KVM switch (see article for explanation).

Alec

Thanks for all the help and ideas. I have an effective process using sync of the necessary files. I use a small physical token to remind me which system was most recently used for Lightroom. I sync files each time I exit Lightroom and the most current files are backed up to my NAS each night, as well as other backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back