• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Running either LR CC 2015 and LR Classic on the same computer using the same catalogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myron Kuziak

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Operating System:W10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info):Classic and CC 2015

Hi:

I need to know whether or not I can do what is set out in the caption, ie., run either LR CC 2015 or LR Classic, using the same catalogue, on the same computer. Would this confuse and befuddle either version of the program and damage the catalogue?

I have installed both on the same computer, and I use an external SSD drive on a USB 3 port, containing the catalogue, all photos and all presets, collections, smart and stupid previews, etc. I then backup the entire SSD to another external drive just using GoodSync, as well as to a third external USB drive. I have a 4th backup, a Windows Home Server 2011 desktop, which backs up the laptop, but not the SSD or other external drives.

I will not be using Lightroom CC (cloud version).

I'd love to hear from you before I begin running the Classic version. Thanks.

Myron Kuziak

You can run them both, but the catalogue formats are not compatible. When you first run Classic, it will convert your CC2015 catalogue to Classic format and take over your preview cache. Your CC2015 will still be able to access its old catalogue, but not the new Classic one.

You can run them both, but why would you want to?

The catalog structure is not compatible between LRCC2015 and LR Classic. Just install LR Classic and convert your catalog and you won't notice anything different. You can install Lightroom Classic without uninstalling LRCC2015. However the catalog files will drift out of sync as soon as you make changes to the Lightroom Classic catalog. Should you decide that you do not want to stay on Lightroom Classic you can fall back to the current LRCC 2015.x catalog and use it and redo anything that got changed in the Lightroom Classic catalog.

This does bring up an interesting curiosity, though...

What if you made changes in classic, some of which included range masking.. Then, say, save it as a snapshot - and then do a 'save metadata to file'.

Then in 2015/6, do a 'read metadata from file', and selected that snapshot you just made in Classic.
Would 2015/6 show everything in that snapshot - but minus any range masking adjustments that was done in Classic?

I wonder if anyone's test that?

Would 2015/6 show everything in that snapshot - but minus any range masking adjustments that was done in Classic?
If you save the develop settings as a Preset, the result is a readable text file. These are the same instructions that get stored in the metadata when you "Save metadata to file". The develop preset file reads as a set of parameters. Parameters not in LRCC2015 won't be understood by that app and will be ignored. This includes range masking AND the new process version. You only get parameters that can be understood by LRCC2015.

This does bring up an interesting curiosity, though...

What if you made changes in classic, some of which included range masking.. Then, say, save it as a snapshot - and then do a 'save metadata to file'.

Then in 2015/6, do a 'read metadata from file', and selected that snapshot you just made in Classic.

I wonder if anyone's test that?

Yes, I tested that and yes, that is what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back