• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Rotated Image From Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitjv

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System:Mac High Sierra
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Classic v7.2

Today I imported a series of images from my Canon 6D into Lightroom Classic. Much to my bewilderment, I noticed that half of the images were rotated (see below). When I look at the playback images on the camera's LCD, the images look fine. I'm baffled. Could someone please help? thank you so much.

EDIT: I noticed that I can restore the proper orientation of the image in the Develop module by clicking the Reset button. But that doesn't explain the rotation when imported.

Photo 1.jpg

Last edited:
Do all of the images have guitar strings? It looks like they are perfectly level, leading me to believe an Auto-straighten or Level is being applied via the Transform panel and using the guitar's strings to determine level in the image. This can happen if you've told Lightroom to make your default Develop settings to apply the transformation or if you have created a Develop preset that contains a transformation component.

Check your Apply During Import panel on the RH side of the Import dialog and see if you are applying a preset during import. If so, that is likely the culprit. If not, then you probably want to reset your default Develop settings by going to Preferences>Presets and clicking the [Reset all default Develop settings] button.

I have no Transform preset in my Apply During Import panel. Also, I can't imagine that I told LR to apply any default transformation. Nevertheless, I reset all default Develop settings in the Preference menu (thanks, Rikk!). I'll take a few images of non-level lines & see what happens. I'll report back. Thanks so much.

Because you could correct this by clicking the Reset button, the most likely explanation is that you saved Auto Level in a develop preset without realising it and applied this preset on import. If you had saved it in the default camera settings by mistake, then pressing Reset would have applied the same rotation again.

Johan: Thank you for the response. The only presets that are are applied on import are Standard Lens Correction & Sharpening. So, I assume that had I saved Auto Level as a preset & applied it on import, therefore, it would be in my Apply During Import panel. I hope that I am not missing something in your comment. If so, please let me know. Thank you.

Johan: Thank you for the response. The only presets that are are applied on import are Standard Lens Correction & Sharpening. So, I assume that had I saved Auto Level as a preset & applied it on import, therefore, it would be in my Apply During Import panel. I hope that I am not missing something in your comment. If so, please let me know. Thank you.
What I'm suggesting is that you have inadvertently saved auto level in one of those presets.

Johan: Forgive me for being a bit thick-headed. But I suspect that you are correct. I shot several images with horizontal lines being tilted. With only the Standard Lens Correction & Sharpening preset being applied during import, all of the images were rotated. Next, I shot the same tilted images & imported them with "None" selected for Develop Settings in the Apply During Import panel. This time the images were NOT rotated. So it appears that Auto Level was saved in those presets as you suggested. But, here is the remedial question: How can I determine if Auto Level was indeed somehow saved in my Standard Lens Correction & Sharpening preset?

Thank you for your patience.

Johan: Forgive me for being a bit thick-headed. But I suspect that you are correct. I shot several images with horizontal lines being tilted. With only the Standard Lens Correction & Sharpening preset being applied during import, all of the images were rotated. Next, I shot the same tilted images & imported them with "None" selected for Develop Settings in the Apply During Import panel. This time the images were NOT rotated. So it appears that Auto Level was saved in those presets as you suggested. But, here is the remedial question: How can I determine if Auto Level was indeed somehow saved in my Standard Lens Correction & Sharpening preset?
There are two ways. First, you can open your preset with a text editor. Presets are fairly easy to read because they are in plain text. You should be able to find the auto level command and delete it.
Second method. Take any image and reset everything. Apply your preset. Go to the Transform panel and turn off auto level. Update your preset with these settings or save it as a new preset.

Thank you so much!! Although I still cannot figure out how Auto Level somehow got imbedded in my Standard Lens Correction preset, I guess there are some things I don't have to know. :)

Thank you again!

I am having a similar problem. My photos are suddenly getting a preset from somewhere that does Auto Tone & Crop three times each. The only import preset I have is copyright. The photos were fine until I just did an update to LR Classic. How do I stop this?

Susan: See Johan's response to my original post He offers 2 suggestions. That appears to have resolved my issue. However, time will time. Like you, I have no idea where this import preset came from.

Susan: See Johan's response to my original post He offers 2 suggestions. That appears to have resolved my issue. However, time will time. Like you, I have no idea where this import preset came from.
I’m thinking I may have synced edits by mistake.
Thanks for your reply.

I am having a similar problem. My photos are suddenly getting a preset from somewhere that does Auto Tone & Crop three times each. The only import preset I have is copyright. The photos were fine until I just did an update to LR Classic. How do I stop this?
First check that you don't have a develop preset that is automatically applied on import. An import preset is something else. If that is not the case, then check the following. In the develop module, press the Reset button while holding the shift-key. Does that 'undo' these settings? If it does, and pressing that button without holding down the shift-key does not, then you have added these settings to the camera default by mistake. Press reset+shift key to reset everything to default, and then press that button while holding the Alt (Option) key. That gives you a dialog where you can set the camera defaults to the current settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back