Reverse engineer a preset

jeffmrichardson

Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Recently getting back into using Lightroom after a couple year break, During that time had a HD crash. Fortunately LR and catalogs were backed up, but I did loose some presets on the reinstall. I have a picture that I ran through a preset, so it is in the history of that file.

is there a way to save just the elements that present had, not knowing what those were?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
You can create a develop preset from the develop state of any image. If you have made changes to the develop history after the preset was applied, you can create a virtual copy and stripe off the post press adjustments and then save that as a preset.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
You could make a note of all the settings immediately before you applied the preset and then a note of the settings after you applied the preset.
That will tell you which settings the preset changed. However, there may be other settings on the preset that are the same as the previous version. Then go to the version immediately after applying the preset and create a new preset based on those settings. Just select the settings that were changed when the preset was applied.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Recently getting back into using Lightroom after a couple year break, During that time had a HD crash. Fortunately LR and catalogs were backed up, but I did loose some presets on the reinstall. I have a picture that I ran through a preset, so it is in the history of that file.

is there a way to save just the elements that present had, not knowing what those were?
Like others said, you can look at all the edit settings, and then look at what edit settings are listed in the edit history panel. Anything that is not in history must have been applied by that preset. That may work, but in practise it’s not that easy: the history only tells you that you manually changed a slider. It does not tell you what the initial slider setting was. So if you see ‘Saturation +30’ in the history, then you may conclude that your preset probably did not change the saturation slider, so you did that yourself. But that may not be true. Maybe your preset set the Saturation to +40, and you decided that was a bit too much so you tweaked it. You would have to compare a number of images to rule that out too.