• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Restore original filenames

rctneil

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hello,

Before I used LR, I stored all my photos in a simple folder structure and renamed each one depending on it's content. Now they are all organised in LR, I want to restore to the old original camera created filename. I see the "Original Filename" field in the metadata panel. How can I select a bunch of images and restore the old filename to them all?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Are you familiar with simple programming - JavaScript, VB, Applescript etc. You won't need to know anything, but it helps me know how much I will need to explain. And did my steps above make sense to you?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
That's OK. I'll make it as clear as I can, and make sure you backup your catalogue and try the method on a few pictures first. What OS are you using?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
OK, I attach the script which has installation instructions at its top. I've also recorded a quick video which shows the whole process

Ensure you backup your catalogue first, put the dummy.jpg on the desktop, and test the full workflow on a few pictures. And if it isn't clear, please ask.

Attachments

• Create dummy DNGs for missing renamed files.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 84
  • dummy.jpg
    dummy.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 84

apostolis.platanias

Hi again!
I don't know what going wrong, but this don't work on me!
First of all, when i run the script it never create a new folder in desktop with the "dummy" files and the script just replace the files i import to lightroom with "dummy" file with the renamed name... not with the preserved name!!!
For example: the camera file is the p85_1475.nef, the rename file that i don't have it is G&I-2046. When i run the script, just replace the P85_1475.NEF with a G&I-2046.nef

Last edited:
Lightroom Experience
Power User
That's correct. My missing folder was on the desktop, yours may not be missing, and may be elsewhere. Yes, the script does put the dummy files with the renamed names - that is explained in the video. You probably need to watch the second half again.

Last edited:
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Great. Sometimes people are in your problem because they lost the folders too, so one step is to rebuild the original folder paths - but sometimes one can show too much and just confuse the viewer.