• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Resizing images in Lightroom to fit ipad 10inch screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmurray

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic Version: 10.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello,

I hope someone can help me, please

Where I work we are resizing images on PC's to use on a virtual learning environment (VLE) online.
The images are of museum objects with additional point of information, which the visitor will look at with an ipad on front of the objects.

However because of either the VLE or ipad function, when you choose full screen of the image you are then unable to zoom in and view in more detail. Which is what we want for the visitor.
Therefore, I need my images to fit within the ipads screen, so the visitor can zoom in.

I have tried fiddling around with Lightroom export settings,
Image Sizing Settings:
Changing to Width & Height from pixels to CM- to match the ipad screen measurements.
I also changed Dimensions from pixels to CM- to match the ipad screen measurements.

But they didn't appear to change in size from my original export.

Has anyone had experience in this at all?

All the best,

Resizing does not change the aspect ratio. If you want your image to fit on an iPad screen exactly, then you will have to crop it to the iPad screen aspect ratio and then export it. During export you can then resize it to the exact pixel dimensions if you want to.

Hello,
Thank you for replying. This is really helpful to know the resizing the way I have been doesn't change anything really.
How do I crop in Lightroom? or do I have to do this in photoshop not Lightroom?
I'm not exactly sure what pixel dimensions we need as an end result. This is all very much trail and error.... :/

Lightroom Classic has a crop tool. You can create a custom crop aspect ratio in that tool, so applying the “iPad crop” would be much easier for the next images. The screen size (and thus the aspect ratio) of an iPad can be found in Google. I can’t tell you what it is without knowing which iPad you use.

The aspect ratio of a typical iPad is 4:3, so in Lightroom's Develop module you would need to crop to a 4:3 aspect ratio. Where this becomes difficult is when you have an image that cropping would cut off a relevant part of the image. In that case you probably would want to render the image on a larger background that is sized to 4:3. You can choose the background color - matching your website or app - or a color you choose such as white, gray or black. This is a common problem when you are trying to fit an image into a specific format.

Here is a blog article I wrote for a nature photography association that describes the process using the example of putting a vertical image in a horizontal space for consistency. There are plenty of YouTube videos that can help.
https://gnpa.org/2019/08/11/creating-a-horizontal-image-from-a-vertical-image-for-the-internet/
Here is a YouTube video from Matt K. about creating composites using the same idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y91veIhKkhc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back