resizing image before crop to save image quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylan

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I have been trying to figure out why i lose pixels/quality from my shots once i crop down in lightroom. It is quite noticeable from my original shots, however have recently come across information that sais to export/resize first to an image such as 1080 x 1080 for instagram, then import it back in and do any neccessary cropping, which does minimal damage/loss of quality.

Does anyone use this process, and have you noticed the difference?

That makes no sense to me. The original image has all the available information.
When you resize the image you are actually reducing the available information; which would make the situation worse (I would think).
Unless there is some other factor in play, such as raster image versus pixel.

Hi dylan,

I would concur with Tim in that the suggested steps would almost certainly make the image quality worse.

Perhaps you could post an example of an image and a description of your workflow to help understand what your seeing and how you get there.

-louie

Ever since Instagram allowed portrait and landscape formats, I export out full resolution images from Lightroom to Dropbox and then on my phone send the photo from Dropbox to Instagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back