• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Republishing captions only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

les_stockton

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Easy question, hopefully.
If I publish a set of photos to flickr or smugmug and then later make an update to a caption or keywords, if I publish again, will it just update the changed caption or keyword, or will it reupload the photo too?

Jeffrey Freidl has Publish Service Plugins for both Flickr & SmugMug that will on option just update the metadata changes. I have not used the plugins that shipped with LR since version 3.x. IIRC, the OEM plugins always updated with a new image. I do not know if this has changed with v4.x.

The Lightroom Publish Services will upload the photo again, even if only metadata has changed. Jeffrey Friedl's plug-ins (well, certainly the Flickr one) does support metadata-only updates, though not automatically.

The Lightroom Publish Services will upload the photo again, even if only metadata has changed. Jeffrey Friedl's plug-ins (well, certainly the Flickr one) does support metadata-only updates, though not automatically.

I wonder if they fixed this in LR 4?

No, still the same.

HI,

This is NOT a reply to this subject or even forum. It is intended for Adobe and all that will and can listen to it.

Adobe has declared that whe should pay for fixes from the outside world.
I totally disagree.

I won't pay for Adobes dumb faults.

If this madness will go on I will cut Adobe on all fronts.

Hmmm, or am I wrong?

Thanks for the replies. At least I know that I don't want to republish just to get metadata updated.
I agree that I wont pay for a fix by any vendor. However, if they come out with a new version that has the features I want, I would be more inclined to buy that new version.

Thanks for the replies. At least I know that I don't want to republish just to get metadata updated.
I agree that I wont pay for a fix by any vendor. However, if they come out with a new version that has the features I want, I would be more inclined to buy that new version.
Jeffrey Freidl's Plugins are Available as donation ware. You pay what the plugin is worth. As little as 1 cent if you are a cheapskate.

Plugins add additional functionality that the basic product will not ever include. They are a cottage industry and have been a useful addition to Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture and BibblePro/AfterShotPro for years. When LR first introduced the Publish Functionality, the included Plug-ins like Flickr and SmugMug were included more as a demonstration of what could be done with LR rather that a full functioning component. Jeffrey Freidl had Export functions that interacted with the API of online photo services like Flickr long before Publish Services came about. Perhaps not coincidentally, Jeffrey release a Flickr Publish Service the day LR3 was released. His plugins have always been more robust and had more bells and whistles than the export functionality included with LR. You are only selling yourself short if you do not take advantage of third party plugins that extend this and other LR functions.

It is intended for Adobe and all that will and can listen to it.

Adobe won't hear you here Willem.

I understand the frustration, but I can also see Adobe's point of view - if 3rd party developers can fill these 'gaps' at the minute, it means the engineers can concentrate on the parts that only they can do. For example, they could spend their time enhancing the Publish Services functionality, or they can put the structure in place so that guys like Jeffrey can do so, while they work at improving image quality and other functions that third parties can't add. Only a comparatively small percentage of users use the Flickr functionality, compared to almost everyone using tools like Develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back