Status
Not open for further replies.

m.holmes

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6.14 (windows)
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know a good photoshop tutorial that shows how to reproduce some of the recently released effects, like dehaze and texture sliders?
I'm trying to find something myself, but googling for "photoshop"and "texture" basically shows results where people talk about the new texture slider, not how to do it yourself...

thanks,
MH

In Photoshop, Camera Raw is available as a filter. Camera Raw contains Dehaze and Texture.

(The following is assuming you want to do them using Photoshop tools, not Camera Raw where they already exist for you as Rick pointed out)

The Texture slider is sort of a third variation on the Sharpening and Clarity sliders. All three are (generally) about enhancing local contrast, the difference being the frequency of detail they handle. Sharpening enhances very fine detail, Clarity enhances rather coarse details. Texture addresses a range between those two, which has been missing in Adobe software up to now, but was a feature in other software. There are some other subtle things Adobe programs into in each slider, but it's mostly that.

Because those three sliders are about enhancing different frequencies of detail, if you want to reproduce them in Photoshop, you should search for tutorials about Frequency Separation. There are a lot of those. Two older techniques that are sometimes used as part of Frequency Separation are High Pass sharpening (where you can change the frequency by changing the Radius value in High Pass) and the HIRALOAM (High Radius Low Amount) technique with Unsharp Mask.

Dehaze can't be reproduced exactly in Photoshop, because Adobe says it's based on a physical model of light transmission, absorption, and scattering. You can fake it using the techniques people used before Dehaze existed, such as increasing contrast with Curves, and increasing local/edge contrast with techniques such as High Pass sharpening or HIRALOAM.

So try searching for Photoshop tutorials about:
  • Frequency Separation
  • High Pass sharpening
  • HIRALOAM

(The following is assuming you want to do them using Photoshop tools, not Camera Raw where they already exist for you as Rick pointed out)

Yes, thanks: this information is exactly what I was looking for.
My goal is to reproduce the effects (to some degree) using only basic Photoshop functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back