• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Replacing LR5 with similar product - assume Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePyrenees

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Having trawled the internet, I am still confused by the current LR offerings. All I want to do is bring myself up to date from V5 (which I love). I guess I go down the 'Classic' route, but I seem to only find Classic CC with bundled storage and Photoshop (neither of which I need).
Am I missing something here?
Thanks

It would take a lifetime to fill 20GB cloud storage with Smart Previews.
Smart Previews synced up from Classic don't count towards the 20GB (just to clarify)

Just to add using Portfolio you can change your Domain name up to 5 times. They also offer a custom Domain option via NameCheap. I did that as it was cheap at first but just keep going up in price. Last week I pulled the pin and went back to the free Domain. Using the free one ends in (whatever you call it) and .myportfolio.com. I decided that I didn't care if .myportfolio.com was a part of my sites Domain.

As long as you remain static, this is a valid statement Upgrade to a newer camera and the old version can not read the RAW files. Windows 10 will still currently run LR5. MacOS at v13 cannot install LR5 and works reluctantly if LR5 was installed before upgrading to the current OS. Eventually, your hardware and operating system will render LR5 obsolete.
At some point Google abandoned the API the the Lightroom Map Module used, This part of LR5 remains broken. Compare the list of new features in LrC and see how many are not in LR5. Also the Process version is currently v5 In LR5 it might have been v2. Each process version improves the rendering capability of even previously processed images. Perhaps you don't know what you are missing.
The definition of a person in your mindset is "Luddite". There is nothing wrong with being a Luddite, just don't condemn technology because it leaves you behind. In your original post you said, " bring myself up to date from V5". We have described your current options. It is not up for debate.
Why is it that some people just cannot enter into a civilized conversation without trying to belittle or insult people. Everyone else was constructive, helpful and civil. The original purpose of Lightroom was to be a digital darkroom - it still does that very well and just because one does not jump onto the bandwagon of every product upgrade without questioning the benefits, does not make one a Luddite.
PS This Luddite is an defense aerospace engineer.
Apology accepted.

Mike, I very recently had the same experience as you. Bought LR5 several years ago and when considering an upgrade the idea of a subscription plan just ticked me off to no end. I looked at many other options and tried a couple of trial downloads and decided that since I was familiar at least for the last ten years, with LR...maybe I should look into it further. So after buying a copy of Victoria's book and seeing the many improvements over LR5, I decided to go with the Photography Plan 20GB.

That was over the weekend and I've only used it for a day or so. Installation was uneventful in a good way, it found my existing catalog and photos(a concern if I'd gone with something else). It seems easier to import images directly from SD card and automatically eject(unmount) when done. Masking for localized edits is great and seamlessly moving an image to Photoshop(which is included with the plan) and back into LR...I'm impressed. Of course it could be that I'm also a luddite retired automation systems engineer and it takes little to impress me.

One concern that I believe was brought up earlier, the first thing installed is called Creative Cloud, which had me thinking something bad wrong with this. It wasn't, CC only handles the download and install of LRC and in my case Ps.

I was hesitant and a bit angry prior to playing with this new toy, but it seems to be a good value for $120/yr.

Well, one month on and lots of brainpower expended on the (very powerful) layers features and I am sold. So to those who encouraged the leap of faith - thank you. Having been 'given' Photoshop too I will have a dabble with that (Seems a bit like Corel Draw/Paint on steroids).
Question - Are there any good articles around explaining what happens to the files when we move back and forth from LR to PS. They obviously work in a fundamentally different way eg the TIFF layers/masks versus the RAW/ DNG with its saved instructions.

Well, one month on and lots of brainpower expended on the (very powerful) layers features and I am sold. So to those who encouraged the leap of faith - thank you. Having been 'given' Photoshop too I will have a dabble with that (Seems a bit like Corel Draw/Paint on steroids).
Question - Are there any good articles around explaining what happens to the files when we move back and forth from LR to PS. They obviously work in a fundamentally different way eg the TIFF layers/masks versus the RAW/ DNG with its saved instructions.
The original RAW file imported into LrC remains unchanged. A derivative file containing LrC Adjustments (and saved as a TIFF) is sent to PS and returned to LrC with PS modifications.

Yep....read the "Further Editing in Other Programs" chapter in your Missing FAQ book.

The original RAW file imported into LrC remains unchanged. A derivative file containing LrC Adjustments (and saved as a TIFF) is sent to PS and returned to LrC with PS modifications.
Thanks for this. I will do a few experiments and try to get my head around it.
Mike

If you don't feel like reading, there are some good videos put out by Adobe. I found them very helpful.
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/tutorials.html

Just a hint. I flatten the layers and use Save, not Save As or a Copy.

I couldn't help jumping into this old thread.

When I teach, I tell students that for the privilege of living in the San Francisco Bay Area, we pay over $50/day in property tax.

The Photography Plan costs 33 cents a day. You can't even buy a bad cup of coffee for $1.

Oh, and you've never owned the software. You only paid for the right to install it.

I couldn't help jumping into this old thread.

When I teach, I tell students that for the privilege of living in the San Francisco Bay Area, we pay over $50/day in property tax.

The Photography Plan costs 33 cents a day. You can't even buy a bad cup of coffee for $1.

Oh, and you've never owned the software. You only paid for the right to install it.
From a photographers perspective my favourite time is fall. People can spend tens of thousands on camera gear but when it comes to software? People will scramble to save $20 on the fall deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back