• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The November 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes the ability to export the same photos as multiple sizes/formats in a single export, content aware fill for panorama edges and more. It does require a catalog format upgrade and there are updated system requirements, so you may want to wait a few days before upgrading.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options (such as TIFF format, renaming and color space), custom sort order on the desktop, copy/paste to multiple photos on iOS and more.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Repair of corrupted catalogs

matmielke

Hi Victoria,

that sounds great. How was it possible to upgrade as my LR always failed to?
Regarding the ? nil-messages: They happened in two cases:
  1. I have an LR plugin named Duplicate Finder. As soon as I start it, I get this kind of error message and it was resproducable since two years - hence I didn't use the plugin anymore since then. There was no specific action I performed before it failed for the first time. But I guess this was when the problems with the catalog started but it had no other negative effect until the upgrade.
  2. Since approx. 3 weeks, I tried to clean up old pictures by marking them with an "x" ("Abgelehnt" in German, no idea how it's called in the English version). After that, I filtered for these and deleted them by marking and removing from catalog and disk at once (normally, bunches of 20-50 were handled that way). This worked normally in every case but at the end of the operarion, it showed also the ? nil-message without any further negative impact.
I hope helps finding what happende there.

Thanks again and best regards,
Matthias

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service

matmielke

Ok, magic is always fine for me. I was just wondering if there was something I could have done or something I did wrong. But as my magic is a bit rusty, it seems asking for help was the correct way.

Best regards,
Matthias

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A6000 mit Tapatalk

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
You didn't do anything wrong, the catalog not upgrading is a (relatively rare) bug. I suspect there's something more in that catalog that's preventing the catalog import - maybe the ghost images issue we've intermittently seen - but that's still under investigation.

matmielke

Hi Victoria,

I have to add one occurence of the ? NIL-value message: It happende just now with LR9 and the new catalog you sent when I tried ti synchronize the folder status (Imoprt new / delete missing / sync metadata) directly before showing the import dialog with the new pictures identified.
Furthermore, with the new catalog, all pictures are shown as "changed metadata" and I'm currently importing the metadata back from the disk. It's not a big issue as things are restorable but nevertheless, it might help investigating.

Best regards,
Matthias

matmielke

Maybe one additional question as the catalog is basically working but has a lot of issues:
I'd like to create a new one from scratch. For the photos, this should be no issue as the metadata is stored on the disk directly. But for the videos, I didn't find any solution to carry over the metadata to the newly to-be-created cataloig. Is there any idea you can think of?
What I tried: Mark all videos, export as catalog and import afterwards. This fails as the import does not work ...
Manuel carryover is a pretty bad solution as I have more than 1000 videos and it would take forever.

Thanks again and best regards,
Matthias

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
For that folder that gives you a nil value error, if you scroll through the thumbnails, can you find any that have no metadata showing? If that is the cause of the error, there is a fix available.

Importing the metadata back from the disk will overwrite the catalog with external data. Are you sure that's what you want to do?

Other than those two noted issues, what other issues are you seeing that makes you want to start over?

matmielke

Good morning Veronica,

the idea of starting from scratch mainly came from the fact that there are still problems with the current catalog and I have no idea if there will be a solution as it seems to be a pretty rare issue. But of course, it's not the perfect solution and I'll keep on thinking about it.

The funny thing for all the metadata: It shows the statu of being not current but when I import from disk, it's fine but doesn't change the content. I normally write every change of metadata to the xmp or jpg-files directly - only for videos, the metadata status on the disk is different from the database status.

Regarding your first question: The nil-value in most cases happens after deleting. So there is no picture available at that moment on the screen as all picture were deleted. But I can investigate a bit further if there are thumbs without metadata.

Best regards,
Matthias