• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Rendering Smart filters using almost 100% CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

field500

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
PS CC 21.1.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi

I have noticed Photoshop using almost all of the CPU resource. This happens when you select "Shake Reduction" from the filter menu, or sometime when simply cropping a photo.

My PC has i7 9700 CPU and 24 GB of RAM, so i'm a bit surprised how much CPU some tasks take? Any suggestions or has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

That's not a bad thing field500. Seems silly to only use half the resources and make you wait twice as long!

That's not a bad thing field500. Seems silly to only use half the resources and make you wait twice as long!
Its not really a good thing? With such an up to date CPU and loads of RAM, I would expect this to take seconds? Just wondered if anyone else has this issue and if so, do Adobe know about it?

Ah, you didn't say it was taking a long time as well as using all resources. How long's it taking then?

Its not really a good thing? With such an up to date CPU and loads of RAM, I would expect this to take seconds? Just wondered if anyone else has this issue and if so, do Adobe know about it?
Yes, I should have said it uses all the CPU and it can take up to 5 minutes - which is silly. But I do not know of any particular setting I can tweak - but it may be an issue Adobe are aware of? Lightroom and most other Photoshop functions just work pretty much straight away.
Thanks

Send me the same file and a screenshot of the settings you used and I'll try it on my computer for comparison. That'll give us an idea of whether it's just a process that's really complex, or whether it's the content of the particular photo, or whether it's something on your computer.
Dropbox or www.wetransfer.com work well for file transfer.

Send me the same file and a screenshot of the settings you used and I'll try it on my computer for comparison. That'll give us an idea of whether it's just a process that's really complex, or whether it's the content of the particular photo, or whether it's something on your computer.
Dropbox or www.wetransfer.com work well for file transfer.
Hi - many thanks for that - I have sent you the file. I did not do a screen shot of the settings as im only applying the default settings that come up when I open Shake Reduction. Let me know how you get on? Thanks

That took about 2 seconds. I'd try updating your graphics card driver, and if that doesn't do the trick, here’s instructions on how to report it to Adobe: How do I send a bug report or feature request to Adobe? | The Lightroom Queen
Many thanks for that - 2 seconds sounds better. The PC I have is only a few months old, but I will do a driver update (Dell have a tool that scans for any updates) - otherwise I will post a query to Adobe. Thanks for your help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back