Renaming problem

dimswan1

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
I've been happily renaming loads of pics imported into LR using the metadata method. Suddenly I come across a whole lot of pics that have an ominous little exclamation mark in the thumbnail, and it won't let me rename them.. please tell me why not..

Gnits

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
It means Lr cannot find the actual file.

Right click on an image.....
Select "Show in Explorer"

You will get a message that Lr cannot find the file.

The most likely cause is that you have moved, renamed or deleted the file outside of Lr.
If you have lots of such images it may mean you have moved, renamed or deleted a folder outside of Lr..

dimswan1

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
AHA! yes, thanks Gnits. I think what I've done is to start renaming them in their original place, an external hard drive, after having imprted them into Lr. thus causing Lr to lose them... I suppose my best bet to rectify this is to delete them from Lr, then import them again with the rename already made.. is that right?

Gnits

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
If you delete them then you lose all your edits.

If you simply reimport them you have orphaned images with edits but no images and a second set of images in Lr but with no edits.

I am not near a screen to check the syntax, but you can do a few things.

You can generate a collection which contains all your missing files. This might help you determine the scale of your problem.

For individual files there is an option to search and click on the renamed image.

There should be loads of tutorials to do this with a simple,Google search. Victoria also has loads of info on how to deal with many typical situations.

dimswan1

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
i think I may be OK to delete the lot of them, and reimport as I have not yet started editing them.. Is that right?