Renaming Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalfrigon

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am relatively new here so please bear with me. I'm playing with my import presets. I've noticed that I can rename the images as I pull them into LR even if I am not copying them from a camera card, but pulling them in from a previously existing folder. I see no advantage to this.....and I missing something?

Your camera will start over after it reaches 9999 images, so in order not to have duplicate file names, you can rename them. If you use more than one camera, that issue is even more frequent.

Yes I do get that. I guess I didn't word my question properly. I'm gonna try again. If I pull images into LR that are already on my computer and I rename as I pull them into LR it does not rename those same images in the file I pulled them from. So....the image in LR has a different name now than the original image sitting in the folder. Does this matter? And I guess that would lead to another question...if I only use one catalog and I have images with the same number (because I haven't renamed) what happens in the catalog?

So....the image in LR has a different name now than the original image sitting in the folder. Does this matter?
It sounds like you're pulling the photos into a folder using Copy. This creates a duplicate, and yes, that duplicate can have a different name. But do you really want to create a duplicate? If the photos are already on the computer, you might want to Move it to your new chosen location, or Add it at the existing location, rather than creating a duplicate file (with or without a different filename).
And I guess that would lead to another question...if I only use one catalog and I have images with the same number (because I haven't renamed) what happens in the catalog?
That's not a problem for Lightroom, because they'd have different file paths. It's generally recommended that you use unique filenames for a multitude of reasons, not least because if the photos go "missing" (numerous causes, such as moving files outside of LR, drive letter changing, etc.), then it's far easier to reconnect them correctly if they have unique names.

Yes I do get that. I guess I didn't word my question properly. I'm gonna try again. If I pull images into LR that are already on my computer and I rename as I pull them into LR it does not rename those same images in the file I pulled them from. So....the image in LR has a different name now than the original image sitting in the folder.
Lightroom renames the real files, so you can never have a file that has a different name on disk than it has in Lightroom. What probably happened is that you copied the files to another location and renamed them in the process, but now you are looking again at the originals on disk. It doesn't matter that the originals aren't renamed, because Lightroom does not do anything with the originals. They are not in your catalog.

You cannot rename files if you use the 'ADD' function in the import dialog (which only adds images to the catalog, but leaves them in their original folders), only if you use 'MOVE' or 'COPY'.

OK. I'm in LR, my images are in the folder I want them to stay (on my computer)...I just want to edit in LR. I did not use LR to import my photos I just used File Explorer. I've chosen the ones I want to import...and the only option I have is to copy them into LR. I am not giving them a destination as they are already where they need to be (I forgot to mention this part - sorry). Then, once I"ve edited them I will export out. Is there any benefit to renaming them at this point? I apologize for my confusing explainations.

At the top of the dialog, there should be an option to ADD. Are you not seeing that? If not, we could do with a screenshot.

Great, that explains why. You're looking at the photos still on your memory card, rather than the ones you already copied to a folder on your computer. Use the folder structure on the left to find the files you copied.

Oh My! Thanks for that. Now back to my original question and a few more. Should I bother renaming at this point? Also, what is difference between Copy and Add? Sheesh...this just keeps getting my complimicated. LOL

Copy creates a copy - a duplicate - whereas Add just opens the photo at its current location. That's why it won't let you add from a memory card, because it knows you'll eject the memory card and it won't be able to find it.

LR won't mind if you don't rename. It's good DAM hygiene, but not the end of the world, and you can always rename later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back