• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Renaming .jpeg to JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

glospete

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.4 [ 202108071231-af9219b9 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I have a number of files within LR which have the suffix .jpeg and I want to rename them to .JPG. Because LR sees identically named files with .jpeg and .JPG as different files I want to clean things up and just have .JPG files. I've searched using Google but all the articles and YouTube videos seem to only tell me how to change the filename before the dot. I cant see anywhere how to change the file name type. Can anyone help please?

JPG and JPEG may represent two slightly different file types. The File type extension is important in telling the app reading the file how to open it and how to translate the file header. Although the two file types are similar, just changing the file type extension might make the file unreadable. There is no harm in leaving the files imported in the Lightroom Catalog to be slightly different filetypes.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US...s#jpeg_joint_photographic_experts_group_image

"JPG and JPEG may represent two slightly different file types".
Wow, I didn't know that - in all my years in the photo business I had wrongly assumed that they were the same. Thanks for that and and the link to the "Image & Format Guide". I think I'll leave the files as they are!
Thanks again!

"JPG and JPEG may represent two slightly different file types".
Wow, I didn't know that - in all my years in the photo business I had wrongly assumed that they were the same. Thanks for that and and the link to the "Image & Format Guide". I think I'll leave the files as they are!
Thanks again!

Note the operative word is “may represent”. The Format specifying agency is the same JFIF. At one time DOS (remember DOS?) limited file named to 8.3 characters and “.JPG” was used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did an experiment and changed the jpeg file suffix to JPG and imported them into LR. Everything seems to be fine with all the metadata etc. intact. But I will bear in mind the warning that you gave!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back