Renaming files - any clean way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshua

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I just imported about 35' photos and I realized I accidentally named them incorrectly. I can re-import them but I was wondering if I rename them in the finder will lightroom recognize the change - or is there some way to batch change them from within Lightroom itself?

Thanks!

Joshua, select the photos to be renamed.

a) Edit menu > Rename , or b) press F2

Should bring up a dialog, "Renaming xxx Photos", which has a filename template picker, very much like the import and export dialogs. (Maybe identical, I've got a big export running, and can't verify it right now).

Unless you've totally mangled the filenames, you should be able to fix them there.

You could fix them externally to LR, with Finder or some 3rd party tool, but then I believe you'd be stuck pointing to each file one by one.

Probably my brain running off on a tangent, but are these photos that were already in LR, that you've renamed outside of LR and are therefore now marked as missing, or is LR still safely tracking them?

Awesome. That worked perfectly. (F2 that is... it's under the Library menu on my Mac... not Edit but close enuf. :) )

Brad Snyder;167'1 said:
Joshua, select the photos to be renamed.

a) Edit menu > Rename , or b) press F2

Should bring up a dialog, "Renaming xxx Photos", which has a filename template picker, very much like the import and export dialogs. (Maybe identical, I've got a big export running, and can't verify it right now).

Unless you've totally mangled the filenames, you should be able to fix them there.

You could fix them externally to LR, with Finder or some 3rd party tool, but then I believe you'd be stuck pointing to each file one by one.

Probably my brain running off on a tangent, but are these photos that were already in LR, that you've renamed outside of LR and are therefore now marked as missing, or is LR still safely tracking them?

Nah, the first answer was dead on...

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back