• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Renaming auto-imported photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul F

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi. When I'm away for a number of days I like to upload my photos into Camera Roll and auto-import them into LR Mobile, synching them with LR Desktop when I get home. This works very well except that there is no Import step in which I rename, add metadata etc.

I can add metadata to my imported photos later, but can I rename the imported photos (as in change the filename; the folder name is already being set in the Preferences) without breaking the synch magic?

Thanks,
Paul F

Renaming photo files must be done in Lightroom so as not to upset the catalog links to the photos folder location.

1. You can simply rename ONE selected photo in the Metadata panel of Grid view- just re-type a filename in the "File Name" box.
2. You can also Batch re-name many selected photos using a preset template-

Press F2 (Function2 -computer universal key shortcut) for the re-name window, and again you have access to presets and the template editor.

From the drop-down menu- "Edit" takes you to the Rename template editor, where you can construct many options for renaming. You can [Insert] metadata shown in the dialog (Note: even the metadata panels have drop-down menus for other choices)

There are many suggested filename formats. You can design your own. I like to use YYYYMMDD-Original Number Suffix so my filenames look like- 20170830-1234.nef

Are people not clamouring for batch renaming functionality on LRCC Mobile? It seems to be a rare area where there are no 3rd party apps to do it in iOS outside of LRCC (that I can find anyway) and it appears to be a thing commonly done by many of us in LR Classic. Am looking for a place to “vote it up”!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back