• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Renaming and sorting by capture date/time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumped

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.2.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Not sure how this happened, but..... I have a bunch of .jpeg's on a Mac in one folder. A lot were taken w/ iPhone and a lot with Canon Powershot. Attached is what happened, when I guess I combined the pics in one folder - they are now sorted by name w/ 1's added for duplicated names.... Can I use LR to rename them sequentially by date created? Id like to keep them in .jpeg format and ultimately still outside of LR..... Capture date was 2014, 2015 for informational purposes - not old(ancient :) ) pics. Pretty sure this can be done, just don't know how. Tks

iphone info.pngCanonPowershot info.png

Sure. Select the folder(s), use the filter bar at the top and filter by camera. The F2 to rename, create a preset with the date - the one I use is attached, I have a custom text field on mine too. It should give you the general idea!

Pages 38 and 125 in your Classic FAQ explain the renaming process in more detail.

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 21.43.55.png

Tks Paul. Im a little confused , sorry.... Just to make sure I understand your answer - you're assuming I either have the photos in LR or want to import them, right?

Id like to keep them in .jpeg format and ultimately still outside of LR.....

Just making sure im not missing something here.

Tks

ok as soon as I hit the post button, I remembered I have Canon DPP 4. It has exactly the renaming tool I was looking for. tks again.

Yes, I meant to use Lightroom as your post stated:

Can I use LR to rename them sequentially by date created?

Glad you're sorted.!

It was a little easier in DPP as LR would not let me select the folder containing the pictures….. Tks for the fast response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back