renamed main LR catalog to purposely break link for new EXTHD field copy fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig_k

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
1 year back I successfully moved my 3.6 LR catalog and top level folder of entire image collection entirely to an external hd for use as my master unit, always took that master with me on trips to the field w\o any negative issue on laptop...now I want to leave my master at home when I go out so I purchased a smaller ext hd where I copied off my master, the LR folder and top level folder containing only 2016 year folder. I then added the new ext hd through the folders panel where it showed on my master copy of a successful linked addition, with both master and new hd showing green in folders panel as they should...
I forgot to break the link by renaming LRfolder ( LR folder-old) on master when I clicked on the new ext hd LR folder to open it thusly making a new separate catalog link for use on the new ext hd only. instead I double clicked on that most recent backup file I made upon closing the ext hd master in the new ext hd and it opened like it should and showed both ext hds connected in folders panel, just like the master, in essence "showing" the main catalog used on the master ext hd...I realized my mistake- faulty move, and wanted to correct it by breaking the link to the old master catalog by renaming it LR folder-old and opening LR where it should have said catalog not recognized do you want to select another one....instead it opens as it normally would and the catalog in use reads LR Folder-old....it appears you can rename the master catalog anything and when you open lightroom on your master ext hd in order to point it towards the new ext hd, it just uses it ( like nothing is wrong) and shows entire top level folder all intact and ready to go....
What have I possibly done wrong in order for lrcat not to open up because of renaming master catalog?
yes I do have multiple backups of entire ext hd containing both LR folder and all images

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm quite following you Craig.

I then added the new ext hd through the folders panel where it showed on my master copy of a successful linked addition, with both master and new hd showing green in folders panel as they should...

How exactly did you do this?

by breaking the link to the old master catalog by renaming it LR folder-old and opening LR where it should have said catalog not recognized do you want to select another one

Just double-clicking on the catalog you want to open should work. Then in Preferences > General tab, you might want to make sure that catalog's set to open by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back