• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Rename photo keyboard shortcut on a mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralf11

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I am in the Library module, on a mac, and the keyboard shortcut for Rename photo does not work. MACOS has pre-empted F2 key for screen brightness. Adobe has a nice table posted that is incorrect...

Hi Ralf, you can control that at an OS level. Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys. If you check it, F2 will work in Lightroom. If it's unchecked, hold down Fn while pressing F2.

There is no Fn key on my mac keyboard. Shift, Ctl, Option do not enable the F2 key in LR.

I need to keep my system keys.

From what I can see in Google images, there ought to be a Fn key in the bottom left corner of the keyboard. Do some Macs lack those?

Control, Option or Command keys & Shift... I have the biggest keyboard they make

I've never seen a Mac keyboard without one, because they're pretty fundamental. Can you grab us a photo so we can try to find it on yours Ralf?

Ralf,
This is what I found:

Isn't that a "fn" key in the product shot you posted, centre-left in the block of 9 keys above the cursor keys?

(I'm not an Apple person so don't know for sure ...)

Isn't that a "fn" key in the product shot you posted, centre-left in the block of 9 keys above the cursor keys?
Yep, you found it, just under F13

Nope - this is the new large keyboard with rechargable batteries
I have used the older, USB-powered version with Lightroom, very productively, for many years. The picture below is the one you’re using; the layout hasn't changed.
The function key row is labeled across the top; I highlighted it in red.
I outlined the F2 key in red near the top left; that's the shortcut for Library > Rename Photo.
If you want to use the top row as system keys, that's fine, I do too. As the others said, to get to the F2 rename key when the keyboard is set that way, you press Fn+F2. I outlined the Fn key in purple.

I also use F5 through F8 frequently, since Lightroom uses them to show and hide the top/bottom/left/right panels.

One quirk of the Library > Rename Photo command is that it makes you use the token renamer. If you just want to type in your own text, use the File Name field in the Metadata panel instead. No keyboard shortcut for that one, that I know of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back