• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Rename Photo - Filename Template Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gegjr

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 11.4.1 [ 202206241800-b406ce4c ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
In the filename template editor, there is a preset "shoot-or-subject-name_date(yyyymmdd)_original file name". However, I cannot find a place in the metadata to type the shoot or subject name and the preset does not allow for entering custom text. Does anyone else see this preset in their list of filename presets? Can anyone tell me how to use this template so I can enter the shoot-or-subject-name? It is the highlighted preset not the checked preset.
shoot or subject name_date-yyyymmdd_original filename.png

This looks like a custom tempate (preset) that you created or got from someone. Shoot name is supplied when the preset is used during an import operation. For some reason that token is not available when doing file renaming from the Library Module. However, you can create your own using the "custom text" token. Use F2 to open the file rename editor. the template should be

1656628495813.png

When you use this preset, there will be a field for you to enter your custom text into which you can place the shoot name.

Shoot name is a loose end from the tethered shooting feature.

I'm pretty sure that it corresponds to Session Name in the Tethered Capture Settings. So if you shoot some pictures in tethered mode, you can include the shoot/session name in the filenames. I don't think you can add shoot name in any other way.

This looks like a custom tempate (preset) that you created or got from someone. Shoot name is supplied when the preset is used during an import operation. For some reason that token is not available when doing file renaming from the Library Module. However, you can create your own using the "custom text" token. Use F2 to open the file rename editor. the template should be

View attachment 18915

When you use this preset, there will be a field for you to enter your custom text into which you can place the shoot name.
I know how to create a filename preset. I did not create this preset because I would have used "custom text" place holder. It looks more like a system (adobe) created preset.

Shoot name is a loose end from the tethered shooting feature.

I'm pretty sure that it corresponds to Session Name in the Tethered Capture Settings. So if you shoot some pictures in tethered mode, you can include the shoot/session name in the filenames. I don't think you can add shoot name in any other way.
I have never used tethered shooting mode. Isn't that something that has to be done from Sony's mobile app Imaging Edge? BTW, not that it has any bearing on this issue, I am using a Sony A77M2 and A99M2.

I have never used tethered shooting mode. Isn't that something that has to be done from Sony's mobile app Imaging Edge? BTW, not that it has any bearing on this issue, I am using a Sony A77M2 and A99M2.
P. S. John, is this something that could have been put there by Sony's Imaging Edge mobile app, although I have no idea how?

I wouldn't think so, unless it is installed on your computer. Might there be a Sony tethering plugin?

Look for a folder called Filename Templates in the LR presets folder. Each template corresponds with a file in this folder, and maybe the files' date will give clue. You can delete these files, but only do so cautiously.

Here you can see how Shoot is connected with tethered sessions.

I saved a naming preset in the Start Tethered Capture command, and then opened that template file. In LR's interface you see the word "session", but in the template that is recorded as "shoot". It's quite conceivable that at some time "shoot" has been in the UI, but I can't recall when or be certain. A tethered capture plugin certainly could add filename template files and might have used that term.

Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 20.16.40.png

Here you can see how Shoot is connected with tethered sessions.

I saved a naming preset in the Start Tethered Capture command, and then opened that template file. In LR's interface you see the word "session", but in the template that is recorded as "shoot". It's quite conceivable that at some time "shoot" has been in the UI, but I can't recall when or be certain. A tethered capture plugin certainly could add filename template files and might have used that term.

View attachment 18917
I never use tethered shooting. So I don't think this applies.

I wouldn't think so, unless it is installed on your computer. Might there be a Sony tethering plugin?

Look for a folder called Filename Templates in the LR presets folder. Each template corresponds with a file in this folder, and maybe the files' date will give clue. You can delete these files, but only do so cautiously.
@johnbeardy as far as I know there is no Sony tethering plugin, at least I don't use it. I looked in the Lightroom settings filename template folder and there are several presets that have text fields that don't relate to any known fields I am aware of. Here are screen shots. One is of the filename template folder presets in icon view and the other is of details of specific presets that I have no idea what the text name refers to. Their original dates are from 08/2019.
What do you think?

Attachments

• lrc_filename_template_presets.png
    lrc_filename_template_presets.png
    78 KB · Views: 69
  • lrc_filename_template_presets_subset.png
    lrc_filename_template_presets_subset.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 72
I know how to create a filename preset. I did not create this preset because I would have used "custom text" place holder. It looks more like a system (adobe) created preset.
Sorry, hard to tell from posts what level of knowledge posters have.

I don't have this preset (naming template) on my sytem but perhaps I deleted it at some point. However, I don't recall ever seeing it before but then again at my age I don't remember what I had for lunch. No one else on this thread has noted that it is present on their system so I'm wondering if others on this thread see it in their system? If not then it's probably not a standard Adobe item and was added by somthing that got installed like a plugin of some sort.

In terms of it possibly being a Sony plug in, I would imagine that the laywers at the Sony Corporation would have included some sort of branding in the preset name so I'm skeptical that Sony is the source.

Anyway, I too don't do teathered shooting so don't know about the comments pertaining to that mode of operation. I do know that if you go into the file rename editor from the import dialog you get different options that if you go into it from the Library module. In it's Import Dialog incarnation, one of the tokens you can add is "Shoot Name", but that token is only active if it is actually used during an import. From the Library incarnation the only token you have for such things is Custom Text.

@Califdan and @johnbeardy,
Perhaps the following screenshots will shed some light on the batch rename filename preset issue. First of all let me explain, please, that I am using the batch rename function in Library module I am not using the import filename template editor.
Please note the first screenshot of filename preset Shoot-or-Subject-Name_Date (YYMMDD)_OrigFilename has no source for the Shoot or Subject. Ordinarily for most filename templates like this the Custom Text field would be enabled. An example of the Custom Text field being enabled is in the second screenshot. I have no idea where the template for the first screenshot came from but in the Lightroom settings filename preset folder it shows a created date of 08/15/2019. Does this shed any light on the issue? Is it possible this is supposed to be a preset to be used only for importing? If so, how does LrC distinguish the difference between filename presets meant for importing versus ones meant for use in the batch rename functionality?
LrC_batchrename_preset_shoot-or-subject_date(yymmdd)_origfilename.png

LrC_batchrename_preset_shoot name date (yyyymmdd) original number suffix.png

It's is really odd that Adobe has different rules for File Rename templates based on where they are invoked from, but they do. Whether a File Rename template is meant for the Import Dialog, the Libary Module or both depends on what tokens are used within it. If you use a template containing a token that is not avaialble in the place you are using it, Adobe either ignores it to treats it differently

"Shoot Name", "Import #", and "Total #" tokens are Import Dialog only tokens
"Original suffix", "Original Filename", "Headline", and "Copy name" are Library Module only tokens
"Image #" always starts with "1" when used in the library module but picks up where left off last time in the Import dialog

there may be a few others that don't come to mind at the moment.

Dan

A tethered capture plugin certainly could add filename template files and might have used that term.
Although that is true, I should say that it's misleading. I checked the Filename Templates folder on both my PC and my newer Mac and those templates Shoot Name - Original File Number.lrtemplate and Shoot Name - Sequence.lrtemplate were created by LR's installation routine.

I hadn't noticed that Shoot could be used in Import and well as the tethered workflow, but Shoot Name does appear if you select a template which includes shoot. So that's a couple of places where it can be entered .

In a way, I think it's a shame that they didn't integrate it with the Job field. I think that might make sense in organisational terms, not least as Job is one of the limited number of fields available in the Library Filter and Smart Collections. And just imagine, you could have the same data called Session in one place, Shoot in another, and Job in a third ;)

1656756370179.png

It's is really odd that Adobe has different rules for File Rename templates based on where they are invoked from, but they do. Whether a File Rename template is meant for the Import Dialog, the Libary Module or both depends on what tokens are used within it. If you use a template containing a token that is not avaialble in the place you are using it, Adobe either ignores it to treats it differently

"Shoot Name", "Import #", and "Total #" tokens are Import Dialog only tokens
"Original suffix", "Original Filename", "Headline", and "Copy name" are Library Module only tokens
"Image #" always starts with "1" when used in the library module but picks up where left off last time in the Import dialog

there may be a few others that don't come to mind at the moment.

Dan
How do you suppose a filename template meant for use in the import dialog box shows in the batch rename dialog? And, most importantly as you suggested, why don't the tokens work no matter the dialog box it appears in? Would this be considered a bug?

How do you suppose a filename template meant for use in the import dialog box shows in the batch rename dialog?
It depends on the token(s) in the template. in most cases it just ignores the token as if it wasn't even in the template. However a few (well, at least one) behave differently. The one I'm thinking of is "Image #". When used in the import dialog it picks up where the prior use of a template containing that token was used in the import dialog left off. However, when used in the Library module it always starts with 1. There may be others that supply a value but behave differently.
And, most importantly as you suggested, why don't the tokens work no matter the dialog box it appears in? Would this be considered a bug?
No answer to "why" but it is as designed. For example, "Copy Name" or "Label" don't exist untill after an image is imported so there is no value that could be used during import and as such the token is ignored during import. Another one like "Import number" could be available in both scenarieos but then they'd also have to keep track of which import batch number each image came in on, and as far as I know they don't keep that info. Another one that could have been applied to both scenarios is "Total Number" which in import is the total number of images in that import batch but is ignored in the Library module. In the library module they could have used the number of selected images for that token but they didn't.

But, at the end of the day, it is what it is.

Another one that could have been applied to both scenarios is "Total Number" which in import is the total number of images in that import batch but is ignored in the Library module. In the library module they could have used the number of selected images for that token but they didn't.

Correction. I had this one backwards. "Total #" is in the Libary module (total number selected) but not available in the Import Dialog.

It depends on the token(s) in the template. in most cases it just ignores the token as if it wasn't even in the template. However a few (well, at least one) behave differently. The one I'm thinking of is "Image #". When used in the import dialog it picks up where the prior use of a template containing that token was used in the import dialog left off. However, when used in the Library module it always starts with 1. There may be others that supply a value but behave differently.

No answer to "why" but it is as designed. For example, "Copy Name" or "Label" don't exist untill after an image is imported so there is no value that could be used during import and as such the token is ignored during import. Another one like "Import number" could be available in both scenarieos but then they'd also have to keep track of which import batch number each image came in on, and as far as I know they don't keep that info. Another one that could have been applied to both scenarios is "Total Number" which in import is the total number of images in that import batch but is ignored in the Library module. In the library module they could have used the number of selected images for that token but they didn't.

"It is what is" applies to anything and to nothing! If that's the final determination, then there is no point to bug report. Still doesn't answer the question of how a filename template that's designed for import use only shows up in the batch rename dialog list?

But that does not preclude a "feature request". we have not had a whole lot of success in feature requests but one never knows. On the other hand we have had sucess in counter feature requests. One big one was when they re-wrote the entire import dialog and decided to eliminate many features. There was such a strong negative reaction that a few dot releases later they put the old one back. Firs (and only) time I every recall Adobe admitting that they blew it.

With feature requests, getting others to "me too" it helps it get more attention at Adobe but even so, they rarely go ahead with implementing the change.

But that does not preclude a "feature request". we have not had a whole lot of success in feature requests but one never knows. On the other hand we have had sucess in counter feature requests. One big one was when they re-wrote the entire import dialog and decided to eliminate many features. There was such a strong negative reaction that a few dot releases later they put the old one back. Firs (and only) time I every recall Adobe admitting that they blew it.

With feature requests, getting others to "me too" it helps it get more attention at Adobe but even so, they rarely go ahead with implementing the change.
I'll give it a shot. Nothing ventured nothing gained, right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back