• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Rename Images In Associated Sequence (HDR, Pano)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 9.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I've been looking for a plug-in to do the following. If I have 3 bracketed images, I would like to be able to select them then rename them against the '0' EV image fname in the following way:
  • fname-EV0
  • fname-EVPnn (plus EV)
  • fname-EVMnn (minus EV)
I know that LRc processing of HDR will put everything into a stack, but this renaming convention would allow me to know that the image is part of an HDR independantly.

I can also see the same benefit for a Pano e.g. fname-P1,fname-P2,fname-P3 etc.

Some thought would need to be given to an HDR/Pano.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

As a rule, plugins can't rename files in LR.

What you can do is manipulate a title or other field with my Search and Replace, and then use that field's value in LR's built-in renaming. The method is described here.

Conceivably a plugin could loop through selected images figuring out 3 frame brackets, 5 frame brackets, pano and HDR etc, and it could then apply the above method. But I've not seen any that do so.

I know that LRc processing of HDR will put everything into a stack, but this renaming convention would allow me to know that the image is part of an HDR independantly.
So why don't you rename then something like 'Original File Name - HDR'? That is easy to do with a template in Lightroom. There is no need to have the EV in the name, as you can easily see that in other ways. I do it by using the purple label for these images.

As a rule, plugins can't rename files in LR.
Thanks for that insight John.
So why don't you rename then something like 'Original File Name - HDR'? That is easy to do with a template in Lightroom
Thanks Johan. I was wondering about a renaming template but that means I need to identify the files before import. I was looking to try and automate this as much as possible.

I currently use EXIFTOOL to rename and post initial metadata to my photos before moving them into LR. I started this when I was using Nikon CX.

I've also created a Python program to find only 'keepers' for backing up to the cloud. I can read RAW files for metadata values using a EXIFTOOL Python wrapper so will likely try and craft something myself when I know I have HDR shots in an Import Set.

Last edited:
Thanks Johan. I was wondering about a renaming template but that means I need to identify the files before import. I was looking to try and automate this as much as possible.
No, you don’t. You can also rename photos after they have been imported, using the same templates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back