• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Library module Rename Files Based On Pattern And Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwwinaz

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
My Sony A77 file names rolled over from DSC09999 to DSC00001 on July 16, 2016. Now that I am using Lightroom and collections I would like to rename these files from DSC0nnnn to DSC1nnnn. These are in many different folders and thousands of files, both JPEG and ARW (raw). I can rename outside of Lightroom but then Lightroom will lose track of these files. I filter and select the files in Lightroom. I need to keep the same last four numbers so the JPEG and ARW files will match (they are not one to one).

Can I do the rename in Lightroom or is there a plugin that would accomplish this?

I could change the file name from DSC to DSC1 but I would like to just replace the leading sequence 0 with a 1.
Thanks!

The File naming template allows a Custom name and a Filename Suffix Create a file naming template with DSC1{Original number suffix}. and you will rename all of the selected images that begin with "DSC0"

Also, check your camera settings Nikon and Pentax allow any user set first 4 chars of the file name. This will help you for future imports.

What a tangled web we weave... I changed the DSC to DSC1 but I've found a few problems.
First, if there were pictures in a stack, it only changed the top picture in the stack. I think my filter should have selected all pictures that met the criteria, not just top of stack.
Then my fault. When I took a Photoshop class, it was recommended to use the Adobe color space, so I did. I later found this had problems in some of my applications. Those file names start with an "_" and only have a four digit sequence. I thought I had converted all of those to sRGB last year but obviously I never completed the conversions. My raw files also have this naming convention.
Luckily I pretty new at Lightroom so at this point I think I will just remove all my

Oops, never finished the prior post. I removed the folders with the naming problem and importing them again and now I'm carefully renaming the files. When using DSC1 as the CustomText, the 1 becomes part of the sequence number. I discovered not only did my sequence numbers roll over from 09999 to 00001 in 2016, they rolled over again in 2018. So those pictures need to have CustomText of DSC2. I haven't found a way to mask or manipulate the numbersuffix, like adding 10000 to 00001.

What a tangled web we weave... I changed the DSC to DSC1 but I've found a few problems.
First, if there were pictures in a stack, it only changed the top picture in the stack. I think my filter should have selected all pictures that met the criteria, not just top of stack.
Then my fault. When I took a Photoshop class, it was recommended to use the Adobe color space, so I did. I later found this had problems in some of my applications. Those file names start with an "_" and only have a four digit sequence. I thought I had converted all of those to sRGB last year but obviously I never completed the conversions. My raw files also have this naming convention.
Luckily I pretty new at Lightroom so at this point I think I will just remove all my

Expand the stacks before renaming cataloged images.

Shoot RAW and set the camera to sRGB. RAW images have no color space and the JEITA naming convention was proposed long before there were options to set the Colorspace of JPEGs. The leading “_” was used to distinguish between sRGB and AdobeRGB JPEGs. The Colorspace actually used is a metadata field in the file header and has nothing to do with the file name itself.

If you shoot RAW, then there is no Colorspace in the RAW sensor data because the data is not RGB. The RAW data converted in ACR or Lightroom uses ProPhotoRGB as a default Colorspace on import. So the name is irrelevant when processed by Lightroom or Photoshop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back