• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Removing Unwanted Keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRJJ

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
4.x
When I first began using LR I had created several keywords that were great for that assignment. Now, whenever I begin a new project a couple of those original keywords pop up with an * after them. I have deleted them numerous times, yet they persist. Is there a way to permanently remove those?

Thanks

You can delete them in the keyword list. Right-click on the name.

Thanks for your reply!

Are you referring to the Keyword List on the Right side/window. If you are, that is where the annoying keywords persist and I have deleted from there multiple times. If not, please tell me where I would find this list.

Thanks again!

JJ

Are you using any metadata presets?
This the likely source of these annoying recurring keywords.
They must be coming from somewhere and the recurring presence of identical keywords makes this a very likely scenario.

Tony Jay

You've got the keyword box, that lists all the keywords associated with an image or images. The * means that you have multiple images selected and that the keyword associated with the asterisk is not assigned to all the images. Below that is a list of keywords that are being used. You can delete the keyword from this list and it won't appear anymore and will be removed from all images. Their is a number to the left. That shows how many images are associated with the keyword. If you click on the right of the keyword all of those images will be selected and shown.

Hey Bob, I have in fact deleted the errant keywords from that list many times, yet they continue to appear.

As soon as I can I will check the reply from Tony. Tony, when I can get into LR, where would I find the metadata presets and will it be obvious how to correct that?

Thanks everyone!

Delete them in the keyword list in the middle of the right panel, not in the keyword entry field at the top of that panel. That will delete them from all images. They may still be part of a keyword set after that, but that is irrelevant.

Hi Tony, when I can get into LR, where would I find the metadata presets and will it be obvious how to correct that?
Very first order of business in the Metadata sub-panel is Presets.
Click on the little arrows - all the metadata presets in your system come up. At the bottom of that list is an "Edit Presets..." option.
Clicking on that opens up an "Edit Metadata Presets" box.
At the top of the dialog is the "preset" box - clicking on the arrows at the right end of the box accesses all the current metadata presets in your system.

Once a preset is selected scroll right to the bottom and check out the keyword box. That is where to look for the errant keywords.

However, this is not a random process.
Presets only get applied at your request.
What presets are you using?
Most people apply a copyright preset on importing images or shortly afterwards.
I am assuming that you would know if you are applying any metadata presets.

If Lightroom is not responsible then another possibility is that you are using another application to download images (such as Photomechanic or something similar) and keywords are being applied then to images that are subsequently imported into Lightroom.

Tony Jay

Delete them in the keyword list in the middle of the right panel, not in the keyword entry field at the top of that panel. That will delete them from all images. They may still be part of a keyword set after that, but that is irrelevant.
What Johan said and what I was trying to say.

Bob & Johan

I have been deleting from both of those areas. I'm thinking it is the presets and will pursue that as soon as I am able.

I really do appreciate your persistence with me! Thanks!

Tony ~ I am enough of a newbie in LR to have only a vague concept of what you're talking about. I will do what I can to check presets as you have described. I don't use anything else in the first few steps of my workflow and then I'm only using PS.

Can you define what you mean by "new project"?
Project is not a Lightroom term - I am keen to know the context of the term in your usage.

Tony Jay

Like I said, newbie here. I am using the term "project" to describe a new photo assignment. Each new assignment is a new project. Why can't they use my terms for this stuff? :~)

Like I said, newbie here. I am using the term "project" to describe a new photo assignment. Each new assignment is a new project. Why can't they use my terms for this stuff? :~)
What I am really interested in is how this relates to what you are actually doing in Lightroom - your workflow.
You see what is happening to you is not a random magical event but is rather very logical - once one knows the full facts of the situation.
Whether you realize it or not you are inviting these keywords into your Lightroom world on a regular basis - what I am trying to establish is how and why this is happening.

However, time is on our side and we will take it one step at a time to solve the puzzle.

Tony Jay

My workflow with LR is minimal. I go out, shoot an assignment, come back and copy/paste all images onto a hard drive. I shoot only in RAW so my first step in LR is to rename all the images and keep the CR2 extension. Then, I use LR to create JPEGs and put those in a separate folder. That's pretty much it for LR. From there I do everything else in PS. I know there is a ton more I could be doing with LR, but I'm not really inclined to get into that learning curve. Maybe sometime down the road I'll explore other features of LR. I don't blame LR for this issue. Brother, I'm just stupid enough to make my own problems...

I am back at my computer now and opened up Edit Metadata Presets. I went to the bottom as you suggested, found the two offending keywords and removed them. You called it! When I start my next "project" we'll see if any of those pop up. Just out of curiosity, if I wanted to delete a metadata preset, how would I do that?

Thanks! We're looking really good now!

Just out of curiosity, if I wanted to delete a metadata preset, how would I do that?
Well, if you can get to the "Edit Metadata Preset" template, then scroll down to the preset that you want to delete and select it.
Now go back to the arrows at the right side of the box containing the name of the preset you want to delete and click on them.
The list of presets reappears but at the bottom are several options for various tasks - second from the bottom is "delete preset whatever the name of the preset is."

Tony Jay

Tony
Thanks so much for your help! I know this must have been kinda simple for you and maybe some day I'll get deeper into LR and need your guru status!
Best
JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back