• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Removing the word jpg from the file name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzy J

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi, I want to upload a gallery of school photos onto my website, so clients can choose photos to order prints from. As each file will already have their own image reference eg S1D 004.jpg , I would like to remove the wording jpg at the end of the filename, so that parents don't have to add it to their order or use in their bank reference. Is there any method you could please tell me, where I can remove the letters jpg in Lightroom when exporting the files to my website folder? So that the image ref is just eg S1D 004. Any help would be appreciated. I have tried, but can't see how to remove .Thank you.

if you mean the .jpg after the filename, then that isn't Lightroom naming it, it's needed for applications to know what type of file it is. Can't you hide it in your website display?

Hi Paul!! thanks for your reply. I don't need the file to go in any applications once it's on my website, I will have a 2nd identical folder that will keep the jpg after the filename, which I will be using to place my order with the lab. The parents won't be ordering the prints directly through my lab/website, so the ref photos in the gallery are solely for viewing as thumbnails. They will submit their order by email to me quoting the reference number. If I want to ' hide' the jpg in my website I would have to individually caption each photo! That would be very time consuming. I just wanted to avoid the parents having to put it in with their order and also as a reference for bank transfer payment. Keeping it as simple as possible is the best. I was hoping I could hide the letters jpg through a LR export method. I can individually delete the letters jpg in preview, but that is time consuming. If I can't do it in LR, then removing them in Preview will be easier than creating a caption for each photo in website mode.

I understand. Lightroom has to export as a specific file type, I can't see you can change the extension (others may think of a way, but it isn't a Lightroom function).

Personally I'd just use a batch rename program after export if I wanted to lose the extension (but make sure your website can deal with them coming in as an unknown file type).

Thanks Paul, will check this with my website designer. Hope you are keeping well and busy!

The LR/Mogrify2 export plug-in might be useful. It's a plug-in that allows the creation of borders around the exported image (external or internal), and also allows the addition of text to the exported image (such as a copyright). The text can be freeform or can be based on various metadata "tokens" (such as keywords, titles, captions, etc.)....and one of the tokens that could be used is the original image filename without the file extension.

So it would be possible to add a small white (or any colour) border to the bottom of the exported image with the filename minus extension printed in the middle of that white space. Something like this:

mogrify.PNG

Hi Jim, thanks for your message. Would I be able to batch number the files, like I usually do in LR when I export a whole class ? Eg S1W 01, S1W 02, etc.
Or do I have to type each image ref into white border individually? How can I get this plug-in please? Many thanks

Another type of question: Are you simply trying to remove the ".JPG" for the click able link on the website? If this is so then this is a web design implementation. The underlying filetype will always be a JPG. The link under each file is simply a string of characters that points to the location of the file that you want the user to download. The website developer could choose any metadata in the files to display for the link. It could be the image Title field, the image Caption field or the File name field with or without the type extension.

The simplest way would be to use a gallery which displays a "x of y" -count under each Photo. I use Juice-Box Pro, but there are surely others with the same capability.

Another type of question: Are you simply trying to remove the ".JPG" for the click able link on the website? If this is so then this is a web design implementation. The underlying filetype will always be a JPG. The link under each file is simply a string of characters that points to the location of the file that you want the user to download. The website developer could choose any metadata in the files to display for the link. It could be the image Title field, the image Caption field or the File name field with or without the type extension.
Hi Clee, thanks for your message. No it's not for a click able link, it's just for a viewing gallery on a page on my website. Just spoke to my website designer, and as someone already said I have to have jpg in the file name, as otherwise my website won't 'recognise' the file. So am going with the captioning directly in website, but hoping to just add them in batches and not having to individually caption them. Thanks for your help.

Hi Clee, thanks for your message. No it's not for a click able link, it's just for a viewing gallery on a page on my website. Just spoke to my website designer, and as someone already said I have to have jpg in the file name, as otherwise my website won't 'recognise' the file. So am going with the captioning directly in website, but hoping to just add them in batches and not having to individually caption them. Thanks for your help.

John Beardsworth has a plugin that should be able to do the work for you. » Search Replace Transfer.
You can replace the Caption field with the Filename part of the file leaving off the “jpg” suffix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not understand the commotion. I would never really "take away" the ".jpg". You can set "Hide" when you click the real photo in Finder and then set "hide extension" : it stays there but will not visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back