removing indents in folder panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvora

I use long names for my folders yyyymmdd_event.cr2.
My even names are long also. so they are not readable because the left folder panel shows hierarchy of volume/folder/Lightroom Library and the folders are lined up below. But each step of hierarchy eats up realestate so instead of having my folder against left margin, start two thirds in.
Is there a way to tell it not to show the hierarchy?

Welcome to Lightroom Forums.

If you click on the little + in the Folders panel header, there are other display options. But I don't think any will solve your problem.

You can widen the left panel as far as it'll go. If it won't go far enough, there is an unsupported trick to widen it further using Jeffrey's Lightroom Configuration Manager, or by editing TranslatedStrings.txt by hand (which is what Jeffrey's tool will help you with).

You can also, possibly, hide some of the parent folders from the Folders panel, if there are no photos in them. To do so, right-click on a parent folder and choose "Promote Subfolders" from the context menu.

Thank you Mark
1st solution did not work
I do not want to mess with Jeffry's unsupported hacks because I might corrupt something
What is above the target folder is Volume, folder icon and external drive's name
I just want to be able to say to the Lightroom to just show me parent folder and nothing above.

IIRC, the left panel width is not fully expanded on default. You can adjust the panel with to about 20-25% of the screen. If at maximum width, this is still not wide enough, you can get a bigger monitor, or use one of the default naming schemes on import.

Except in a few instances, the folder panel is not necessary to do anything you need to do in LR. My folder panel remains collapsed almost all the time except about once a month when I am moving folders from the local drive to the archive drive If you make use of keywords and collections you can use them effectively to access any image in your catalog. You might even discover that when employed effectively, you don't need redundant information in the folder name like 'event' and 'cr2'

It sounds like you've got more levels of your hierarchy showing than you need... did you try promoting subfolders, thus hiding some of those parent folders? Or am I misunderstanding you? (A screen shot of your Folders panel might help.)

If so, then I think the remaining choices are:
(1) Using Jeffrey's tool, widen the left panel further. (The risk is close to zero.)
(2) Using Jeffrey's tool, choose a narrower font for the panel.
(3) Shorten your folder names.
(4) Submit a feature request, and wait, and hope.

The first two levels in the hierarchy are simply not needed, so why don't you do as Mark twice suggested? Right-click on each of them in turn (the Folder icon and the Volumes level) and select 'Promote Subfolders'. This will remove two levels of indentation. You could also consider doing the same with 'Lightroom Library' which would promote all you 'year' folders to the top of the visible hierarchy....care with that though as it is often useful in recovery situations to have the top level folder visible in the Folders Panel.

Other than that, you are at the mercy of your own folder naming scheme, so if you must use such a scheme and you also need to see the full name in the panel, best advice would be to keep them as short as possible.

Please see the attached
I do not get the option of promoting the folder. That is my problem.
where is it?
is there a setting to invoke it?
menu.jpg

Try it on the Folder Icon first, if that works you should then be able to do it on Volumes.

'Demote' involves the same right-click, but this time selecting 'Add Parent Folder'. But that isn't going to work if the folder panel is completely blank, which I confess I've never encountered before.

Have you tried restarting Lightroom?

Try right-clicking on any picture in the grid or film-strip and select 'Go to Folder in Library'....does this make the folders appear?

Jim
By doing Edit/undo promote I got that back (Pheeew!!)
But there is still one indent
http://screencast.com/t/yZYF4YBRT

Kirit

Well, glad you go it back, but I have no idea why they all disappeared when you promoted. Suggest you leave things as they are for now, to give some other folks the chance to chime in if they've seen this problem before.

If I do 'promote subfolder' to the 'Lightroom Library', I get the following warning and everything goes away
http://screencast.com/t/MSUuqeBiqeY

So I guess this is the best I am going to get. Right?

That's the standard warning which Lightroom issues when promoting sub-folders, but as I said having all the folders disappear is definitely non-standard! I'm tempted to suggest that you have a problem lurking on your system somewhere, because that behavior really shouldn't happen. Possible a preferences reset might help, but don't do that yet until the others have had a chance to catch up and maybe comment.

Thank you
Jim
I would also think that preference reset may be in order but as you know I have so many tweaks in there that I would rather wait.
How about if I check it out on another computer, my macBook pro and make a new catalog?
I will let you know.
kirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back