• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Removing duplicates - HEIC vs JPEG and CR3 vs DNG

stetondo

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
LR Classic version 9.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hello I am a real newbie.
due to a number of mistakes I did over the years (of course, as I did not know this website and forum and basically I worked with a "trial and error" method), my Library is full of duplicates.
Basically:
- many pictures from my Canon camera, have CR3 version and DNG version. Cause is that when LR did not support CR3 I had to transform into DNG before importing. Later, when I could import CR3 directly from the camera, I got all duplicates.
- many pictures from my iPhone, have HEIC version and JPEG version. Reason is unknown to me.

Long story short , now I want to get rid of all these duplicates.
For doing this, my plan is to delete all JPEG (wherever there is a HEIC version) and all DNG (wherever there is a CR3 version).

Do you agree with the approach, or I am doing another mistake?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
That will work fine BUT if you have done any LR work on the DNG version that you did not also do on the CR3 those will go when you delete the DNG. This includes participation in collections, keywords, star ratings, pick flags, color labels, titles, captions and other metadata changes andany thing you did to the DNG in the develop module. If that's not a problem then your plan sounds like it should work.

Same for the HEIC vs JPG. I'm not a user of HEIC format, and someone more familiar with it should jump in here, but as I understand HEIC is a higher quality image than a JPG. So, if that info is verified you may want to keep the HEIC and ditch the JPG - but wait for confirmation as I'm sketchy on this and there may be other factors.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Same for the HEIC vs JPG. I'm not a user of HEIC format, and someone more familiar with it should jump in here, but as I understand HEIC is a higher quality image than a JPG. So, if that info is verified you may want to keep the HEIC and ditch the JPG - but wait for confirmation as I'm sketchy on this and there may be other factors.
HEIC is higher quality and I believe lossless compression. Ditch any companion JPEGS. These can be derived from the HEIC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stetondo

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Thanks Califdan and Cletus for your answers!
I have proceeded that way.
Great support I have received!