Removing Date stamp from Canon Powershot SX 620 HS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I recently purchased a Canon Powershot SX 620 HS camera as a replacement for an old Lumix FZ7. As with the FZ7 it only uses Jpeg for output.

On importing photos into Lightroom 6.10 (Perpetual Licence), I cannot remove the date stamp from the photos. Having searched Lightroom forums, the suggested that I could use the Clone tool to remove the date stamp. I have had issues before with the Clone/Heal Tool in Lightroom 5.x.

On trying this, I found that using Clone or Heal does not touch the date stamp, the only way to remove it was to crop the image.

Am I missing a trick here, is it impossible to remove the date stamp from a photo derived from a Canon camera?

The date stamp is just pixels, so you should dfinitely be able to remove it with the clone/heal tool. It should also be possible to turn off this feature in the camera...

Yes- a jpg image will have the date embedded in the pixels of the image.
The Lightroom clone mode of the "Spot Healing Brush" can be very effective IF you have an area of the image that can be cloned over the date region.

Hint: Click the 'Spot' brush once, hold down [Shift], move the cursor, click the brush a second time- you can select an area in a straight line between the two clicks.

Original image with text and Spot Brush "Cloning" another area of sky.
ScreenShot251.jpg ScreenShot250.jpg

Yes- a jpg image will have the date embedded in the pixels of the image.
The Lightroom clone mode of the "Spot Healing Brush" can be very effective IF you have an area of the image that can be cloned over the date region.

Hint: Click the 'Spot' brush once, hold down [Shift], move the cursor, click the brush a second time- you can select an area in a straight line between the two clicks.

Original image with text and Spot Brush "Cloning" another area of sky.
View attachment 9294 View attachment 9295

I tried to remove the date stamp using the above instructions - it didn't work.

I have attached a "Before" & "After" Screenshots

Attachments

• After.png
    After.png
    1,003 KB · Views: 628
  • Before.png
    Before.png
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 661
It's because you have the Opacity down at 1....try bumping up to 100 to see what happens then.

That worked, but I also had to reduce the feather (from 63 down to 12).

The feather determines how hard the edges are. If you set it very high, you also have to make the area you are cloning bigger so that the soft part of the edges doesn't cover part of the date stamp. In other words; you could leave it at 63 if you want, but then you simply have to brush a wider area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back