Library module Removing all keywords beneath a parent tag from multiple images - is there any way??

Mike N

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
Hi everyone,

This is my first posting here having brushed up my workflow over recent weeks, after working my way through the excellent "Lightroom Classic Missing FAQ" - a big thanks to you Victoria for putting out such a good book, and for the resources on this site. Both have proved incredibly useful!

So, my question. Is there a way to remove a whole sub-structure of hierarchical keywords from multiple images in one go, without manually selecting every single keyword individually? I'm using John Beardsworth's XLR plug-in to transfer Fuji MakerNotes into keywords, which generates a pretty vast structure under a single parent. If I decide I'd like to remove these keywords from one or more images, the only way seems to be to expand every single node of the tree in Keyword List and uncheck them individually, or to eyeball them in the Keywording panel in Enter Keywords mode and remove them one by one from there. I can't quite believe there isn't a simple option to do this from the right-click menu in the keyword tree, but no matter how hard I look at the menu it refuses to appear! Anyone know a good workaround for this, or able to point me towards something obvious I've missed??

Kind regards,

Mike

marcb

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
The only way I can think of is to use a SQLite editor (e.g. DB Browser for SQLite), but that would involve some fairly complicated logic. If you want to try that, make sure to take a backup (or two...) of your catalog first!

Mike N

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Thanks - yeah this was more about whether there is some way in the application itself as this is something I find the need for in normal workflow. Guess I could always jump in the deep end and try to write a plug-in if it's really a missing capability...

marcb

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Thanks - yeah this was more about whether there is some way in the application itself
Yes, that would be useful, but I don't think there's any way to do this within LR itself (at least not in LR6). But I'm open to someone else coming along and telling me I'm wrong :).

Hoggy

Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I've been away from LR for a bit, but you should be able to select all the images that have the tree in GRID mode - then right-click that tree in the Keyword List and select "Delete keyword". It should remove all child keywords as well, if I'm not mistaken.

As always, it's wise to back up the catalog before trying anything new.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
If I am understanding the question,
I think you could select the images in grid view (ctrl click), then go to the big rectangle (keyword tags) and just delete them from there. That will take them off all the selected images.
Cliff

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
If I am understanding the question,
I think you could select the images in grid view (ctrl click), then go to the big rectangle (keyword tags) and just delete them from there. That will take them off all the selected images.
Cliff
Yes, and the OP knows that. He just hoped there was an easier way, because he has many other keywords too.

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I understand that. But while he has to remove the KEYWORDS one by one, it will remove them from EVERY image that he has selected all at once.
I know, and from how I read his message, he knows.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Yep, I do indeed understand that will work, but was hoping to just chop out an entire sub-branch of the tree from the top level in a single move. Not possible, it seems (slightly surprisingly to me). Thanks all for the confirmation though, it's useful in itself.

Hoggy

Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Yep, I do indeed understand that will work, but was hoping to just chop out an entire sub-branch of the tree from the top level in a single move. Not possible, it seems (slightly surprisingly to me).
I call these type of things 'WTF?' oversights. :)